+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tailgate/boot lock

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Oil or grease has no place in the pins area, it does have a place in the mail barrel though.
    An often quoted comment on many forums ..... but if you strip a lock barrel down, there'll be grease where the tiny return springs live ?

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    there'll be grease where the tiny return springs live ?

Maybe so, but it's not in the close tolerance area of the pins ...where grease or oil would just make dust and debris jam up the lock.
    Graphite powder doesn't make dust and debris stick.

I'd guess the grease is there in the springs area to simply hold the crucial springs in place during assembly
    fq101.co.uk

Graphite stains your hands and clothes. Graphite does not prevent corrosion. Graphite conducts electricity and can cause malfunction of the micro switches.
    These wafer tumbler locks come greased when new. Therefore no reason not to continue applying grease Grease does not harm micro switches and solenoid.

Angry Re: Tailgate/boot lock

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Graphite stains your hands and clothes. Graphite does not prevent corrosion. Graphite conducts electricity and can cause malfunction of the micro switches.
    These wafer tumbler locks come greased when new. Therefore no reason not to continue applying grease Grease does not harm micro switches and solenoid.
    FFS - Grease and oil is fine ! .... in the right areas of the lock !!

Grease and oil is not fine where the key enters ! .... dirt carried by the key sticks to it, gunking up the delicate wafer/pin area of the lock.
    It also would be passed on to the key on exit ! ... do you really want grease on the key blade which you’re gonna put in your pocket ?

The graphite will be nowhere near the freaking switches or solenoid.

Here’s me thinking you had some brain cells
    fq101.co.uk

I’ll continue greasing my automotive lock cylinders but on all cylinder locks for house and sheds I use graphite powder.

Of course I do not overgrease. Just enough to protect and keep the automotive lock cylinders working smoothly.

Thread Information