+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Speaking of heaters mine is, weak and I'm afraid of the winter cold!

Perhaps better bleeding cooling system first. Easily done. Cold engine so you don’t get scolded. Remove expansion bottle cap and keep off until end of this procedure. Top up coolant if required. Bleed air out by gently lifting temperature sensor on top of thermostat. Start engine and check coolant level in expansion bottle. Run engine at fast idle with expansion bottle cap off. Check level again and top up if required. Refit cap. Go for test drive.

99% sure your thermostat is faulty if still no heat and engine not coming up to operating temperature. Buy original Smart thermostat. There are lots of bad fake thermostats out there so be warned.

Should be no need to flush if coolant is still clear.

Invest in a Clic compatible hose clip tool.

Default Re: Speaking of heaters mine is, weak and I'm afraid of the winter cold!

Tip: tie a piece of string to the temp sensor clip before pulling it off unless you enjoy spending hours trying to 1) find it and 2) reach it.

I fear going from hot to cold. The bite will be worse this winter cause it's about the humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Tip: tie a piece of string to the temp sensor clip before pulling it off unless you enjoy spending hours trying to 1) find it and 2) reach it.

Indeed, I fitted a long cable tie to mine when I put the engine back in, knowing I'd probably need to remove the sensor for bleeding. Makes things a lot less stressful.

I've sourced a thermostat
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273053858035
    should I also do the sensor here
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Temp-Send...sid=m570.l1313

Don’t buy that one as poorly made aftermarket thermostat with its check valve fitted up side down making bleeding difficult and engine will take forever getting up to operating temperature.
    Buy from Smart. Price around 30.
    They come with temperature sensor.

Here is photo of that bad thermostat you wanted to buy on Ebay.

Note that water runs out as fast as it runs in. That is bad if you wish to stay cosy on cold wintry mornings.

Summary of problems with this thermostat:
    1. Check valve fitted in sealing element (the disc) is wrong way around. Purpose of the check valve is to ease bleeding air out of cooling system. Bleeding will become difficult with check valve wrong way around. The main problem with check valve wrong way around is that there will be a constant flow of coolant and heat through check valve to radiator resulting in engine taking a very long time to get up to operating temperature.
    2. Clip for holding temperature sensor to thermostat housing is poorly made and does not provide a positive lock like the original Wahler. Could result in sensor popping out and engine overheating with no warning.

PS. I bought two of these bad thermostats so that is how I know. Lesson learnt the hard way. One bought on Ebay and the other from Carparts4less. Returned both and received full refund.

Thank-you tolsen123. Now it's hot, hot, hot!
    Last edited by Pocetsize; 4th December 2018 at 12:33.

Thread Information