+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Speaking of heaters mine is, weak and I'm afraid of the winter cold!

Servicing the interior heater could be a pain staking task dissembling the, dash-etc. It may provide a better solution to replace it. I understand the heater is series of wires much like a toaster with a blower. Since mine is so weak I'm wondering is a good'ol service maybe just the thing. But disassembling the entire dash seems like a big task and without the guarantee of more heat I maybe better off, replacing the entire thing. Where can I get the heater (part number)? Has anyone done this before?

Default Re: Speaking of heaters mine is, weak and I'm afraid of the winter cold!

Most Smart cars have a normal heater for the cabin where coolant from the engine is pumped through a radiator that air is blown over. Only the diesel Smarts have an extra electric heater.

You probably need a new thermostat, these cars get toasty warm when all is working properly.

Default Re: Speaking of heaters mine is, weak and I'm afraid of the winter cold!

Does your temperature gauge get to 3 "blobs"? If not, then either your thermostat is faulty or you have an air lock in the system.

John

Quote Originally Posted by uyn178 View Post
    Does your temperature gauge get to 3 "blobs"? If not, then either your thermostat is faulty or you have an air lock in the system.

John

^^^^^^
    This is far more likely to be your problem rather than an issue with the heater matrix itself (though they can get sludged up).

Flush your cooling system and renew thermostat and coolant. Could of course just be air in cooling system hence a quick bleed may cure it.

Great where do I begin?

Quote Originally Posted by Pocetsize View Post
    Great where do I begin?
    as above .... change the thermostat (and assuming it's as inaccessible as a Roadster's, you'll need a box of plasters for your scraped knuckles ;-) )

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    as above .... change the thermostat (and assuming it's as inaccessible as a Roadster's, you'll need a box of plasters for your scraped knuckles ;-) )
    Not to be done in the presence of impressionable youngsters or parents. Put the swear box on hold for the duration of the task.

You need to drain the coolant from the system. Remove the lower radiator pipe so the coolant can come out. Remove the thermostat housing by undoing the 3 pipes and the 2 bolts and the temperature sensor wires.
    Put a hose pipe into the hole in the engine block where the thermostat was, flush with plain water to get rid of the coolant in the block. Do the same down the 3 pipes until you are sure the old coolant is out. Put the hose pipe into the radiator via the bottom hose connection and the radiator cap so you can make sure the old coolant is gone and the pipes are clear of any crud!

Put new thermostat in place and everything else you took off. Fill with new antifreeze and bleed the system. Heating should now work correctly.

John

Wait !, you want heating in this weather ?

OmG

https://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guide...ng-the-coolant
    fq101.co.uk

Thread Information