+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Which Smart have I actually got?

The need for having proper and correct certification and approval can never be sufficiently overemphasised.
    That is why for my Smart 450 Cabrio, I have in my possession its original embossed type approvel certificate.

You may note that my type approval certificate shows vehicle chassis number and is issued by a recognised UK authority and not by some fake and foreign agency bending over backwards to please Mercedes.
    Last edited by tolsen123; 19th July 2018 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    In my opinion, all 453 Smarts should be banned from public roads until their type approval has been sorted out satisfactorily.

In my opinion , rusty old scottish owned 450's which are shadow of their former selves should be banned from public roads

Quote Originally Posted by Tolsen
    You may note that my type approval certificate(which was momentarily taken out of its frame for this shot) is crumpled
    fq101.co.uk

Does not seem right and legal to me. Wonder which designated approval body did the type approval.
    The 453 cannot be the same type as the 451. Different design and different manufacturer. In my opinion, all 453 Smarts should be banned from public roads until their type approval has been sorted out satisfactorily.
    The wonderful thing about the EU membership is that a common EEC Certificate of Conformity makes it possible to register a vehicle throughout the EU without paying the cost of an individual authorisation. So we receive a EG-Uebereinstimmungsbescheinigung from Smart which shows, in my particular case, that WME4534442Kxxxxxx is a typ 451 variant 5412G0 version LZBAA212 manufactured by Daimler AG. The certificate even identifies which tyre sizes are legal under this certificate and I would assume that incorrect tyre sizes would invalidate the certificate making the driver liable to prosecution.

I do hope that lays to rest the uncertainty that seems to exist North of the Border due to out dated information and lack of knowledge of current regulations
    David
    fortwo Cabrio, C453, 898cc, Auto, Prime Premium

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
    We've been through this in another thread. Daimler used the Homologation data from the 451 for the 453. So it's type is 451 but it is a 453 model.
    Homologation data?

I see he is ignorant about type approval matters. I did EU the type approval for many years when I worked for a recognised Designated body so know these things just like the back of my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    In my opinion , rusty old scottish owned 450's which are shadow of their former selves should be banned from public roads
    Lets just ban anyone from North of Hadrian's Wall, why make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Works for me

fq101.co.uk

You may note that my type approval certificate shows vehicle chassis number and is issued by a recognised UK authority
    Er ... If that shows a specific chassis number then it presumably only applies to the vehicle with that chassis number, which would make it an IVA, would it not?
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Iva???????

Iva???????
    "Individual vehicle approval" rather than "type approval".

Obviously ignorant about individual vehicle approval
    fq101.co.uk

Thread Information