+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rattling UJs?

Default Re: Rattling UJs?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartysmartface View Post
    Do Smart stock replacement UJ parts if I want to give it a go?

fq101.co.uk

One should be allowed to ask without being ridiculed.

Of course Smart does not sell the UJ on its own. Comes only with a complete steering column. Just the way things are nowadays. It won’t be long before you have to buy a brand new car when all that is wrong is perished valve rubber.

This place Tolsen found still sells the UJ's https://shop.febest.eu/catalogsearch/result/?q=AST-1539

John

I've replaced a steering joint before. It's not that hard. Cut the old cruciform out with a thin cutting disc. Tap the old bearing cups inward, clean up the holes where the cups were staked in with a round file or dremel, press in the new cups, stake them in with a punch or chisel. I may even have a spare joint you can have. Have a look here (I'm kabman on that forum)
    Last edited by AndyE356; 9th July 2018 at 21:38.

Okay, thanks for all the replies, I'm going to go for the DIY repair option. I've ordered a new UJ from Estonia using Tolsen's link (thanks).

Two more questions: Is it only the bottom UJ that needs replacing or am I likely to find the middle UJ is also knackered?

When the column is disconnected from the rack, is it possible to put the column back in the wrong position or is the column keyed to the rack so it goes back the same?

BTW, Friday was a good day. My 240 "spares or repair" eBay purchase passed its MOT! So it's back on the road. Still a host of problems to sort out, but I have fresh hope.
    Last edited by Smartysmartface; 15th July 2018 at 23:08.

Clamp joint on to the steering box. Whole of the dash has to come out. Steering wheel has to come off - careful how you do that as already explained. Steering shaft needs to go back in "exactly" the same way round as it came out as the self canceling indicators trigger is on one side and won't work if on the other side.

Lower UJ is the most likey as that is exposed to the weather.

John

Thread Information