+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rattling UJs?

Default Re: Rattling UJs?

Final update....

Although fixed with a new UJ, the result was still slightly rattling over bumps. I managed to find a mint example on eBay so decided to change. Is a pretty quick job once you have done before (aren't they all). The new column has got rid of the rattles so I am happy with that. Cost me 55 for the new column, so not too bad.

I thought the bearing cups from the new UJ had come loose, but it was just the small amount of movement in the joint itself. Seems to get amplified somehow.

So, job done.

The rattle is UJ cross moving axially between bearing cups. It is more or less impossible to fit these universal joints without improvising some sort of clamp arrangement to ensure there is nil axial play between cup and cross. I had same issue when just pressing in the cups.

Only thing I wondered was if I could tack weld one cup in place then whack the other end down with a lead shot hammer and quickly tack that in place too. Whether that would do the trick I don't know, but it might - would have to be quick with the MIG though to avoid frying the joint...

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    I tried something similar. A small Lidl wood working clamp. That was unsuccessful as you have to clamp the UJ and peen over the yoke in at least four places same time to lock bearing cup in position.

Thread Information