+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Carpet soaked, Corroded wheel arch do I remove the bottom panel underside?

I was restoring the seat brackets by removing rust.
    I took out the, seats and carpet the, sound proofing was soaking. Water was getting in through corrosion on the offside wheel arch.
    Can I get better access to the wheel arch by removing the under carriage panel?
    I'm not sure whether the front wheel arch is a cavity. I've read sound proofing which is all throughout between the frame so by dropping the plastic panel from underneath may not expose this oxidisation. Is the wheel arch a cavity?

Default Re: Carpet soaked, Corroded wheel arch do I remove the bottom panel underside?

Are you absolutely sure of the source of the water ingress ?

Soaked carpets are usually the rear 1/4 window seals leaking

https://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guide...uarter-windows
    fq101.co.uk

Default Re: Carpet soaked, Corroded wheel arch do I remove the bottom panel underside?

Don’t bother welding holes in wheel arches. Repair by bonding in suitably shaped plates with screws fitted using polyurethane adhesive sealant. Costs about 4 per 300 ml cartridge at Toolstation. Available in black and white. No need to paint. Just seal exposed metal in polyurethane. Use self tappers or pop rivets to hold repair plates in place until polyurethane has cured.
    I also use polyurethane for sealing rear quarter lights. Much better and a whole lot stronger than silicone. Resistant to most chemicals including oil and petrol.

So just lift the carpet in do this from the inside!

Well yeh! I thought sealing from the inside would prove unreliable or omit the issue entirely.

I used mastic to seal the windows on mine, the sort you get for greenhouse windows.

Why? Because I had some and a penny saved is a penny earned.

The good thing about mastic is that you can reuse it if you have to remove the window for owt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I used mastic to seal the windows on mine, the sort you get for greenhouse windows.
    You mean linseed oil putty? The type that get eaten by birds before it has set hard?

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    You mean linseed oil putty? The type that get eaten by birds before it has set hard?
    No. I mean mastic. Black sticky, non-setting Plasticine type stuff. It's not really mastic, I don't know what it is made of, it comes in strips like Plasticine.

I think this is the stuff: https://www.psasolutions.uk.com/prod...l-sealant-tape

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I don't know what it is made of
    Butyl rubber based
    fq101.co.uk

That's great I have purchased this strip from Ebay.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flashing-...72.m2749.l2648

Thread Information