+ Reply to Thread

Default Welding a 450 - Precautions?

Greetings all, fist post and first thread!

I own a 2002 450 to which I've become quite attached, so it 'will' be repaired. I'm yet to make a full inspection, but it's become clear it will need welding to the sill area around the jacking point. I'm quite confident in my abilities to do this with my little gasless MIG however...

What of the electronics? I've welded quite a few cars with ECUs in the past with no precautions beyond disconnecting the battery and keeping the earth lead close to the weld. But does the Smart, with it's fairly complex systems require any particular precautions? - I should perhaps say that my professional background is in a branch of electronics (broadcast engineering) so I do appreciate many of the technical considerations that might rise to the surface.

I'd be interested in your opinions and experiences.

Default Re: Welding a 450 - Precautions?

I wouldn't worry about the electronics yet you need to go and read about the steel, the inner sill is a special kind of steel with a crystalline core and should not be welded or drilled or modified in any way, it makes up the cell of the tridion.

That's all from memory and my memory aint good but you do need to go and read about it before you start welding anything.

Doing what you suggested (i.e. battery disconnected and welding clamp close to weld point) should be fine. I repaired the inevitable holes in the ends of the sills/rear wheel arches like this with no problems. You'll want to take the arch liners out and check this on yours, if the jacking points have gone then it's almost certain you'll find a nice sized hole on both sides. The rust occurs around the stud that holds the arch liner in place at the end of the sill, so you'll likely discover that the plastic nut just spins around...

I suspect the majority of older ForTwos are driving around with rust holes in this area as it's simply not visible until the arch liners have been taken out.

Buy some Dinitrol or Bilt Hamber Dynax so you can treat the insides of the sills after cutting the rot out and repairing them.

Thanks for that folks...

This is likely to be the outer skin of the Tridion I think... The hole in the jacking point is minor, in fact I jacked the car up quite happily using that point - but of course it's in a particularly awkward place and certainly wouldn't go through the MOT like that!

The plastics will all be coming off the bottom to get a good look and patch as required - I can take my time with it as I have other cars - and yes, definitely some Dynax or the like is a must.

...I'll look into that issue with the steel Mjolinor, thanks.

Hmm, I reckon the outer sill is not MOTable. Mind you arguing that point usually means failing for a host of other things, such is our society.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Hmm, I reckon the outer sill is not MOTable. Mind you arguing that point usually means failing for a host of other things, such is our society.

I tend to agree with you Mjolinor - but who wants to get into that discussion at MOT time? Best give them no reason to fail it. And It'll be of benefit to get it all cleaned and tidied up, some fresh paint and a bit goop on the hidden bits.

Mine had about 40 weld repairs. Sills were worst. If course mine also had holes in way of each fixing for rear wheel arch liner.

Steel cut out of door sills on my 2002 Smart 450 Cabrio. Might one fine day donate to Tate Modern.

I filled both sills with used engine oil. Left car on the road to drip off.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Mine had about 40 weld repairs. Sills were worst. If course mine also had holes in way of each fixing for rear wheel arch liner.

I filled both sills with used engine oil. Left car on the road to drip off.
    I bet local motorcyclists love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I bet local motorcyclists love you.
    Sand is worse than oil.

Thread Information