VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy A little eco-irony (Eco-Score versus Cruise Control)

I found a delicious irony in the interaction between the Cruise Control function and the Eco-Score meter.

Say you set your car Cruise control to 120km/h, but due to traffic, you slow down to 110 km/h. Cruise control smartly disengages until you’re ready again. The road opens up again, so you press the resume button.

The Cruise control will accellerate you so quickly back up to 120km/h that you lose a quarter of your “Acceleration” points in the Eco-Score meter.

I was very much dismayed when I discovered this, because I’m a stickler for trying to get the best score (and as a result great fuel economy), and the acceleration ones are the most difficult to recover.

The frustration here is.. who do you speak to about stuff like this? There is such a huge disconnect between Car Manufacturers and the public who are passionate about their smarts.
    Third-time smartie owner. Currently proud owner of a red & white late 2016 smart fortwo prime 999cc with manual transmission.

Default Re: A little eco-irony (Eco-Score versus Cruise Control)

What's to speak about? Cruise control is not economical nor has it ever been. If you want economy then don't use it, it is quite a simple rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    What's to speak about? Cruise control is not economical nor has it ever been. If you want economy then don't use it, it is quite a simple rule.

Oi Grumpy

He's meaning:

The Cruise control will accellerate you so quickly back up to 120km/h that you lose a quarter of your “Acceleration” points in the Eco-Score meter.

But still:

The Cruise control will accelerate you so quickly back up to 120km/h that you lose a quarter of your “Acceleration” points in the Eco-Score meter.

Which gear were you in ?
    (or is it a DCT?)

Whilst it depends a little on the differential of what speed you dropped to and where the set point was set, I don't find it accelerates 'so quickly' , but then again I've not really looked at the economy screen recently (I find it just a gimmick mostly and tend to just drive it)
    (i.e. mostly I drive it like I stole it)
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Oi Grumpy

He's meaning:

But still:

Which gear were you in ?
    (or is it a DCT?)

Whilst it depends a little on the differential of what speed you dropped to and where the set point was set, I don't find it accelerates 'so quickly' , but then again I've not really looked at the economy screen recently (I find it just a gimmick mostly and tend to just drive it)
    Yup, sorry about that, it wasn't meant to read that way.

A lot of my mates call me Vic after Victor Meldrew.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post

Which gear were you in ?
    (or is it a DCT?)

I was in fifth gear on a relatively flat highway. I noticed this with some of the automatic ForFours I got to drive whenever my car was at the dealership as well.

I pay some attention to it, to see what the car measures, plus it gives me some real-time feedback on how my insurance will measure my drive. I've got a little gadget measures essentially the same data, and rewards "5-star" days with free vouchers for stuff, but also functions as a crash-alert in cases where it detects sudden bumps. I've received a fair number of calls from their emergency service asking if I was okay after going over road bumps
    Third-time smartie owner. Currently proud owner of a red & white late 2016 smart fortwo prime 999cc with manual transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Aye.. That's the truth it seems. I was hoping it would have been programmed better, but clearly it's not

I've received a fair number of calls from their emergency service asking if I was okay after going over road bumps
    I’d have ripped it out after the first call

In fact I wouldn’t have had it installed in the first place

Sounds like ambulance chasing to me
    fq101.co.uk

Thread Information