+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: A little eco-irony (Eco-Score versus Cruise Control)

Quote Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton View Post
    Seems programmed fine to me. Both on autos and manuals. If it accelerated too slowly it’d be useless getting back up to speed in many road situations and would likely just be annoying and inconsiderate to other road users. That said it really doesn’t accelerate all that quickly, certainly not with the manuals as it can’t downshift.

For economy, I’d recommend using the speed limiter rather than the cruise control.
    I do use the speed limiter far more, actually. And since I have a manual, the cruise control is pretty lacking. My observation was just that I found it funny that it's penalising itself for accelerating too quickly. Also, of the three bars, Acceleration is the most difficult to recover.

When reading up about the various engine and transmission types available when I just got my car, one reviewer (I honestly cannot remember where I read it) rated the manual transmission standard smart is best for fuel economy (the turbo auto was best for city-driving comfort and the Brabus auto was best for fun overall), and I've been very happy in that regard. Of course, we didn't even get the auto as an option until this year's model, and still have yet to see the return of a Cabrio option.

When I drive like an old lady (no disrespect for old ladies out there!), the smart positively sips fuel. When I drive like a demon-possessed freak, I get a satisfying roar out of the engine and surprised looks from fellow drivers, but obviously, the fuel consumption drops.

Third-time smartie owner in South Africa. Currently the proud owner of a red & white late 2016 smart ForTwo prime 999cc with manual transmission.

Default Re: A little eco-irony (Eco-Score versus Cruise Control)

Quote Originally Posted by snorbaard View Post
    I do use the speed limiter far more, actually. And since I have a manual, the cruise control is pretty lacking. My observation was just that I found it funny that it's penalising itself for accelerating too quickly. Also, of the three bars, Acceleration is the most difficult to recover.

When reading up about the various engine and transmission types available when I just got my car, one reviewer (I honestly cannot remember where I read it) rated the manual transmission standard smart is best for fuel economy (the turbo auto was best for city-driving comfort and the Brabus auto was best for fun overall), and I've been very happy in that regard. Of course, we didn't even get the auto as an option until this year's model, and still have yet to see the return of a Cabrio option.

When I drive like an old lady (no disrespect for old ladies out there!), the smart positively sips fuel. When I drive like a demon-possessed freak, I get a satisfying roar out of the engine and surprised looks from fellow drivers, but obviously, the fuel consumption drops.
    Fuel economy is ok. Not as good as my older Roadster for similar use. And is a long way off the claimed figures. In 17,000 mixed miles mine (turbo manual) has averaged 44mpg overall. I can get higher mpg, but it is difficult to sustain on busy roads during commuter hours.
    smart ForTwo Coupe Prime Sport - smart Roadster

Thread Information