+ Reply to Thread

Default ESP Activation and Unstable at high speeds

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a 2015 W543 ForFour last week, maybe I am not used to Smarts, so I just want other users opinion.

My ESP activates quite often while I am driving and brakes the car itself, I thought that would be because the rear tyres were already worn so I replace them for OEM Nexen Tyres but when I enter on a tight corner the ESP activates, is that correct? Yesterday I was joining a Highway on a 90 degrees turn on 4th gear and at around 50kph and the car brake itself to around 20kph and the ESP deactive only when I put a 2nd gear on, but was quite dangerous to join the highway at such slow speed.

I Also notice that when I am on highway at around 110-120 kph even if there is no wind, the car becomes very unstable and dancing/waving and sometimes the ESP comes on.

Does anyone can give a tip if my car is reacting weird?
    Smart W453 Passion

Default Re: ESP Activation and Unstable at high speeds

When you replace a front or rear pair suddenly, the ESP is twitchy for a while because it can't work out what's different. (It's constantly checking tyre rotation in relation to all the others.)

Mine's just going through this after replacing the rears mainly at motorway speeds on long tight-ish curves when joining another motorway at 90degrees.
    Did you change like for like ? (in relation to Brand name), I wouldn't recommend having a different brand front to rear.

Double check your pressures and tyre wear all round.
    You could have a dodgy sensor on a wheel , but a check out at the dealers will confirm that.
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 2nd May 2018 at 10:22.
    fq101.co.uk

I replace only the rear tyres, the front ones, can run for a while more.

I havent check the tyre pressure though, i will do it and wait a couple of hundred kilometers to see if it things work out better.

I used a ODB Scan and I also noted a U0415 fault permanente code (Invalid Data Received from Anti-Lock Brake System Control Module).
    Smart W453 Passion

Quote Originally Posted by mjrjunior View Post

I havent check the tyre pressure though, i will do it and wait a couple of hundred kilometers to see if it things work out better.
    Tut tut, should be checking your tyre pressures at least once a month, I do mine every two weeks which some say is overkill but I have all the equipment to do it quickly and accurately.
    2007 Smart Fortwo Passion Coupe C451 Turbo 999cc 84bhp
    Electric Windows
    Air Conditioning
    Smart Radio 9
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Luggage Compartment Cover
    Softouch Automatic Gear Program
    Bodypanels & Tridion Cell in Silver Metallic
    15" Alloy Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by nlel View Post
    Tut tut, should be checking your tyre pressures at least once a month, I do mine every two weeks which some say is overkill but I have all the equipment to do it quickly and accurately.

I replace the tyre 3 days ago, I was expecting that the guys from the shop made it right, but I will check it myself.
    Smart W453 Passion

Quote Originally Posted by mjrjunior View Post
    I replace the tyre 3 days ago, I was expecting that the guys from the shop made it right, but I will check it myself.
    Never assume the tyre pressures will be set right after a service or even after having new tyres fitted by a tyre fitter. In my experience they never have been.
    Electric Windows
    Air Conditioning
    Smart Radio 9
    Panoramic Sunroof
    15" Alloy Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by nlel View Post
    Never assume the tyre pressures will be set right after a service or even after having new tyres fitted by a tyre fitter. In my experience they never have been.
    You are right. I checked the tyre pressure and the front ones were 0,5 bar higher than the recommended. I will drive for a while and see how it reacts. I also cleared the OBD error to see if it gets back after some time.
    Smart W453 Passion

Crikey that's about 7.25 PSI higher than recommended, I measure mine in PSI rather than bar. After one service I had they were set to 36 PSI all round instead of 29 PSI front 36 PSI rear.
    Electric Windows
    Air Conditioning
    Smart Radio 9
    Panoramic Sunroof
    15" Alloy Wheels

I Drove a few kilometers with the correct tyre pressure and it become much more stable on the highways.
    The ESP still comes on sometimes, but I think I will have to adapt my driving sytle on Sharp curves to Smart, as I was used to downshift close to the curve entrance and go quite fast with my VW Golf, with Smarts I have to downshift, brake and use a much slower speed entrance.
    Apart the fact that Id rather have more control of the car, the car safety systems is quite good, and based on the fact the 90% it will be driven by my wife (at low speeds I hope...) with my daugher on it, I quite like it.
    Smart W453 Passion

Thread Information