thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Hello everyone! Complete newbie alert, never owned a smart!

Just a quick hello to the forum.
    Spent a long time googling and reading the many posts on this forum about general smart ownership.

Have never drove a smart but will be test driving the electric and brabus xclusive at Mercedes Brooklands at the end of May to make a decision. New or Used... not decided yet but deprecation is a concern so am leaning towards used with 1K miles or less on the clock.

The car will primarily be for weekday commuting to work (37 miles each way, so electric smart? - I don't know) but need an auto box because my legs are beginning to take their toll. Average annual miles will be about 15K and journey consists of dual A road and country lanes, my driving ability could be better, I am aggressive and not kind to slow road users (sorry!) average speed in my current car which is about to die (Works Mini 2013) is 62 mph on my commute (without traffic obviously ha!).

I have been an owner of many hot hatches and am fortunate to be able to own a decent weekend car.

If anyone can relate to the above then please share your thoughts about your smart ownership experience to help me decide! Thank you for taking the time to read and looking forward to keep on reading and perhaps share my smart experience with you all in the near future.

All the best, deepee.

Default Re: Hello everyone! Complete newbie alert, never owned a smart!

15k miles and electric? You really need to look elsewhere and in my opinion the Brabus isn't worth the extra money. I'd go for a well specced Turbo model with the auto box.

Default Re: Hello everyone! Complete newbie alert, never owned a smart!

I think 80 miles on a charge (unless you can charge at work) might be pushing it at those sort of speeds, etc. Also, if it's anything like our petrol one regarding ride and steering, I personally wouldn't want to do that much mileage in one.
    The Smarts are nifty little cars, but honestly I think a Leaf or Zoe might be better for your needs. I'd certainly check them out as well.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Thread Information