+ Reply to Thread

Default possible to turn engine over by push/pull car in gear?

Hi again long suffering readers. I would like to now if it is possible to get to rock the engine back and forth a little, with the car in gear- ideally by hand (or slave) power; I have seen the 'bump start a smart' thing some where, but don't want to to have to tow it. Main result is to try and get alternator to turn again. Can't get a spanner on the alt. nut IIRC. Just a thought.

Default Re: possible to turn engine over by push/pull car in gear?

Even if you could it would have the same effect as trying to start/starting the engine with the alt stuck, because you'd still be trying to turn the stuck alt via the belt.

i.e. it wouldn't move it.

You need to get the spanner on there directly
    fq101.co.uk

I was afraid of that!

Either remove the belt with the alternator in situ, get a spanner - normal open end / ring spanner the correct size will work. Then free the alternator. OR, take the alternator off and free it up on the bench!

John

Quote Originally Posted by uyn178 View Post
    Either remove the belt with the alternator in situ, get a spanner - normal open end / ring spanner the correct size will work. Then free the alternator. OR, take the alternator off and free it up on the bench!

John
    All much easier said than done,,,, it will have to wait now as smart number 1 (daily driver) has bust the bottom coil and rhs suspension. My other car with stuck alternator is a work in progress, that has not yet progressed.

When those alternators seize they can take some serious shifting. I tried to free one off with a large spanner (after soaking in copious quantities of penetrating oil) and it just undid the pulley nut.

Yep, half expecting that, TBH.

Because the corrosion takes place in the stator / rotor area (not the bearings!) they can need considerable force to get it free again...
    fq101.co.uk

Thread Information