VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread

Default Noises, smells and fault codes

Hi,

I apologise in advance for my lack of mechanical knowledge, SPAG and if this question has been answered elsewhere. I have searched.

I have a 58( 2009) smart car and have had it for a few years. Recently a number of issues have popped up:

1-I have a home diagnostics wireless ODM that has informed me that the engine is too lean off idle in bank What does this mean and what might be the cost to fix it it.

2- when the car changes gear it rumbles as if it is going to stall. This is in automatic or manual mode. What could this mean and?

3- when the car moves from a standstill. At the 1st cm of putting my foot on the gas, there is a jolt forward. As if the engine is suddenly startled

4- I did another diagnostic check this morning and found that when the ignition was o ( electrics only not the engine) there was a tapping/shaking noise coming from the back of the car. Sounded like it was coming from either the suspension over the rear right wheel or the exhaust. Again the engine was not on so this sounded particularly parculiar to me.

I want to get these fixed but am a bit strapped for cash so am open to DIY.

Thanks for the help

Default Re: Noises, smells and fault codes

Smells ?

The jolt/jerk (item 2 and 3) is almost certainly the clutch actuator itself or just in need of grease and potentially adjustment.... absolutely worse case it would be the clutch itself.
    I can’t dig down right know further than http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/fortwo-451/gearbox
    There are articles there about the actuator.
    You should also look at the front middle engine mount , it’s prone to failure and it’s a crucial item for smoothness of takeup.

As for the noise ,what’s its service history ?

As for 1 , you can never rely on a generic diagnostic tool, they misread and misreport faults (some of which aren’t even present)
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Smells ?

The jolt/jerk (item 2 and 3) is almost certainly the clutch actuator itself or just in need of grease and potentially adjustment.... absolutely worse case it would be the clutch itself.
    I canít dig down right know further than http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/fortwo-451/gearbox
    There are articles there about the actuator.
    You should also look at the front middle engine mount , itís prone to failure and itís a crucial item for smoothness of takeup.

As for the noise ,whatís its service history ?

As for 1 , you can never rely on a generic diagnostic tool, they misread and misreport faults (some of which arenít even present)
    Thanks for getting back:

Had a full service history until I got it. Now it's partial service history. It did have a trip to the mechanics about a year ago for something with the gear box and wishbone repair. Other than that nothing has come up.

I have done oil changes but not filter changes and was thinking about the transmission fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewlzorjay View Post
    I have done oil changes but not filter changes
    What on earth are you doing that for ?

and was thinking about the transmission fluid.
    Forget the transmission fluid , it’s a manual cog box , just automated clutch and gear selection , this is where your problem lies.
    fq101.co.uk

Thread Information