VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Frustrated and crying !

I have a couple of genuine ones here that you can try if you want. PM me an address and I'll post them or you can come and get them. As far as I know they work OK, they used to be registered to my 450 but I sold that a year ago.

I would like them back when you have finished diagnosing stuff and sorted yourself out.

I still think you should have posted me your washed key some months ago and it would probably have been sorted by now.

Sorry to keep moaning about this problem - which is due to my own stupidity !

I've just tried the original fob that went through the washer & dryer plus the two new eBay Chinese fobs and they do nothing. All three fobs have brand new batteries. Am I right in assuming if they were working and able to be resync'd then they would have at least flashed the indicators (9 times ? ) ?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyPegden View Post
    Sorry to keep moaning about this problem - which is due to my own stupidity !

I've just tried the original fob that went through the washer & dryer plus the two new eBay Chinese fobs and they do nothing. All three fobs have brand new batteries. Am I right in assuming if they were working and able to be resync'd then they would have at least flashed the indicators (9 times ? ) ?
    Thanks.
    No. It is likely that no keys are synced to the car if you have been through the software routine of trying to sync them.

On the Smart all keys have to be added together including the originals, the sync is completely cleared each time you run it unless it errors in which case it will retain the old synced keys.

If you want to check if the keys are transmitting then buy a USB SDR dongle. The transmitted signal will show on your PC.

Rang another Merc dealer today. First off they said I'd need a new SAM unit to match any new fob if I hadn't got a working master key / fob ! When I explained that wasn't necessary they agreed to sell me just a fob - but I'd have to bring the car to them as they need to take a picture of the VIN.
    Just out of interest rang a couple of the independant parts dealers and basically they can supply (Chinese ?) non genuine fobs but can't sell genuine fobs or keys.
    Besides the Smart I've got a UMM Transcat, Mahindra MM540, Marlin Roadster and Skoda Fabia. The Transcat is being modified to have Fortwo seats and a cut down Ford P100 Truckman top so whilst MOT's taxed and insured is "off the road" at present. The Mahindra is a project. Marlin is stripped down to a 100% bare chassis ready for complete rebuild with an Austin Healey engine and box replacing the original B Series. So out of five vehicles there is just the Skoda on the road

First off they said I'd need a new SAM unit to match any new fob if I hadn't got a working master key / fob !
    Dealers never cease to amaze me how much bull sh1t they will try with a customer , instead of understanding the product.
    I guess it’s to get you in to fill up the workshop and attempt to take the whole job on. (Smoke and mirrors stylee)

When I explained that wasn't necessary they agreed to sell me just a fob - but I'd have to bring the car to them as they need to take a picture of the VIN.
    I can see the sense in this - I guess they’re just covering themselves so they can say they supplied a key to a real car chassis number that you already own, I guess the car paperwork would suffice that dealer’s rules they’ve put in place, in cases where the car is VOR
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post

I can see the sense in this - I guess they’re just covering themselves so they can say they supplied a key to a real car chassis number that you already own, I guess the car paperwork would suffice that dealer’s rules they’ve put in place, in cases where the car is VOR
    When we first bought her/our/my Roadster it came with just one key. We bought a new fob & 2 key blades from Mercedes who also coded it to the car, but we'd to supply proof of who we were etc . Some years later we lost a key, so as our new key had come with 2 blades, I just ordered a new fob from Mercedes but no documentation was asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    When we first bought her/our/my Roadster it came with just one key. We bought a new fob & 2 key blades from Mercedes who also coded it to the car, but we'd to supply proof of who we were etc . Some years later we lost a key, so as our new key had come with 2 blades, I just ordered a new fob from Mercedes but no documentation was asked for.
    It won't be mercedes per se, it'll be some procedure the dealer has put in place , to more than likely show they did due diligence security wise .... more importantly that they can't get their arses sued if they supplied a key to a dodgy character with the wherewithall to code one up and steal a car.

A genuine owner will be able to supply docs or the car
    fq101.co.uk

Why not take Mjolinor up on the offer of trying his genuine Smart keys. If still no joy, I'm about an hour away from you and am happy to try my Delphi kit on your car to rule out any problems there.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool....

Quote Originally Posted by jonus View Post
    Why not take Mjolinor up on the offer of trying his genuine Smart keys. If still no joy, I'm about an hour away from you and am happy to try my Delphi kit on your car to rule out any problems there.
    Mjolinors offer is very kind but doen't help me as I need my own fobs. His would just be on loan and then I'd have to get then synced to my car just to confirm they worked then return to him so I'd be back at square one My car was a perfect runner and it's just the out of sync fob that has put it off the road.
    Am I right in assuming that the syncing is the SAM to the fob and not fob to SAM ? If I'm right then surely any secondhand fob can be synced to my car ?
    Cheers.

Paul H

Mjolinors offer is very kind but doen't help me as I need my own fobs. His would just be on loan and then I'd have to get then synced to my car just to confirm they worked then return to him so I'd be back at square one My car was a perfect runner and it's just the out of sync fob that has put it off the road.
    Am I right in assuming that the syncing is the SAM to the fob and not fob to SAM ? If I'm right then surely any secondhand fob can be synced to my car ?
    Cheers.

Paul H
    It would help in that if the borrowed key(s) synced to your car ok, you'd know that the fob you bought was duff and that you need to get a genuine fob. It wouldn't be the first time that a non-genuine fob has turned out not to work.

If the borrowed key(s) didn't work then you've potentially got a diagnostic issue with your Delphi kit. At this point, either myself or another member that has offered to come and help in another thread could come and try our kit out.

Square one? I don't see how.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool....

Thread Information