+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turbo problems

Default Turbo problems

My wife has a June 2016 Forfour Prime which has done 5,000 miles. Had problems with the EML coming on, took it to Listers in Lincoln and they diagnosed a stuck turbo actuator.

They fixed that but a week later same problem, took it back and was told that the turbo had failed. This was on the 1st February and they advised that there was a worldwide back order on turbos. The supply was supposed to be in Germany on the 23rd but advised today that they hadnít arrived and there was no indication when they would appear.

Listers have been very good in supplying a courtesy car but I am not very impressed with Smart when the vehicle has been off the road for a month already.

Has anyone else had difficulties with turbos and replacement thereof?

Default Re: Turbo problems

If they're providing a CC , then settle back and use it well ... they will want the CC back as much as you want your car back.....

**** happens sometimes, I think you've just been unlucky
    fq101.co.uk

Default Turbo problems

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    If they're providing a CC , then settle back and use it well ... they will want the CC back as much as you want your car back.....

**** happens sometimes, I think you've just been unlucky
    Can you not return the car as unsatisfactory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depend when you bought it ?

Secondhand, You’ve got 30 days to return it and get a refund under the consumer rights act
    https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-rights-act
    fq101.co.uk

Same issue here - posted in another thread. Actuator failed 1st week of Feb. Still awaiting a new turbo, which we are told will be here on 20 March, car due back by end of play on 22nd.

We have a Mercedes courtesy car, but handling by the dealer has been atrocious, as has response from dealer head office and Mercedes UK over the lack of updates. The service was due last week and they have now begrudgingly greed to carry out the service FOC.

I see it as a downside of fitting a single engine type to so many different vehicles across multiple manufacturers - massive demand for the part for new engines, no slack in the system for spares.

This is our 3rd smart and we have also had 2 Mercedes in the last 5 years, spending thousands with the dealer, but they don't seem to understand the long game. Keep a loyal customer sweet when things go wrong and they come back. Treat them badly and they never return. Audi were exactly the same 10 years ago and we have never been back.

Well I have been advised that the new turbo has arrived at the dealers, 48 days since the car broke down. The Customer Assistance Centre has been as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Promises to contact me have not been kept, emails to Gary Savage CEO UK have been ignored, an email to German CEO Tobias Moers at least got a response from an undfling, he is not involved with Smart so don’t email him again, That reply was copied to Honest John of The Telegraph and they will be publicising I how MB executives have no regard whatever for their customers suffering appalling treatment, I have been posting daily on their Facebook page, I hope the publicity will move prospective buyers away from MB Group, once they have your money they aren’t concerned. The car is supposed to be fixed by the 27th and then they will talk about a goodwill gesture - probably a free key ring? Having bought MB cars since 1985 and been treated like this I won’t be casting my shadow in their showrooms ever again!

The 22 March came and went. Eventually a phone call on Friday 23rd saying it would be back today.

Car is now back and been delivered to my wife at her office. She tells me it is covered in tar spots and a nice scratch has also been provided free of charge.

Once again she awaits a call on what they are going to do about it.

Update 27 March.

Before driving the car from my wife's office yesterday evening I lifted the rear carpet to remove the engine cover and check the oil level following the service. One of the bolts for the engine cover is missing - no doubt lost during the work it had done, the locking wheel nut socket is also no longer in the car - it was in the boot when we dropped the car off.

On driving I quickly realised the other job the car went in for - a brake warning light which chooses when to work once the handbrake is applied - hasn't been fixed.

My wife is still awaiting a call which should have been received yesterday - its not really a problem they didn't call as she can now discuss everything else they have made a mess of with them.

Just reading Honestjohn website and at the end of March 2018 a forfour owner reported a failed turbo after 5,000 miles. No parts and dealer couldn't care a less. Sounds familiar.
    Last edited by daveyjp; 27th March 2018 at 11:01.

Default Re: Turbo problems - final update

After getting the car back and speaking to the dealer about the issues we were told it would be 2-3 weeks before the handbrake could be looked at - if we wanted a courtesy car it would be longer. No appreciation that they hadn't done the work requested first time round.

We can't live with an unreliable vehicle, or a dealer who really doesn't care - I get the impression smart is something Mercedes dealers really don't want anything to do with.

Problem is now solved - we have sold the car and gone back to Toyota.

Thread Information