+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Smart 450 Oil Type

In my experience oil spec is not that critical as long as there is oil in the sump.

That's cos you pootle about at 15mph and don't even spin up your turbo
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    Not true. If as an oil manufacturer you have formulated your oil to the correct standard you can print "suitable for MB229.3 or MB229.5" without actually paying merc to check the oil.

You haven't actually debunked anything here. Just because a company "can" do something, it doesn't follow that they will. Also I doubt that the Castrol Formula RS was an ACEA A3/B4 specification oil.

Our roady has nearly 110k miles on it now and during our ownership has always been run on whatever A3/B4 oil is on offer at the time, though I do change the oil and filter every 4k or so. Likewise my ForTwo, though that has only about 65k miles on it. Neither use oil.

Oil specs beyond the basic xW/yz viscosity are often to do with compatibility with materials used in the engines, particularly seals. The wrong oil can damage or destroy them but of course this doesn't happen overnight and the problems may not become apparent for many miles or years.
    It's a bit like allowing small amounts of, say, mercury to be in your food - you may feel fine for a long time and decide it's all OK. But then it isn't ...
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    That's cos you pootle about at 15mph and don't even spin up your turbo
    I drive on public roads not on race racks. Do also keep up with traffic but stay within speed limits. My Smart Cabrio has clocked in excess of 250k and still going strong in spite of its old age.

Thread Information