VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread

Default Alternator repair or replace?

Alternator not charging battery. Tested on vehicle with volt meter across battery and showed no charge coming to battery. Also tested off vehicle by battery shop who said it wasn't working.
    Are alternators repairable or do I need a new one (250)?
    450 2003 City pure 0.7 petrol.

Default Re: Alternator repair or replace?

Quote Originally Posted by Squat View Post
    Alternator not charging battery. Tested on vehicle with volt meter across battery and showed no charge coming to battery.
    That's not exactly proof positive the alt is knackered , proof positive would be to check ALL connections are fully secure on the alternator , including any minor (but crucial) one(s) , also to check output at the actual alt.

Alternators are repairable , but you might spend anything up to ~100 (maybe more) on an overhaul

Also tested off vehicle by battery shop who said it wasn't working.
    Are alternators repairable or do I need a new one (250)?
    450 2003 City pure 0.7 petrol.
    Last advice is to only buy a genuine smart one based strictly on your chassis number , there have been many tales on here where people have used non-smart ones only to have to eventually fit a genuine one.
    fq101.co.uk

Ta. Only issue is that MB Smart don't have any left and have stopped making them. (Maidstone showing one in stock in error).
    Any suggestions?

PS couldn't reach the terminals to test on the car that's why I took off and got opinion at battery shop where they can bench test.

have you got the right part number ?
    so maybe someone else (like Lilsmarty or another dealer ) can confirm the part is actually EOL with no substitute ?

(I'd take one dealers answer with a pinch of salt )
    fq101.co.uk

Thanks
    Will check on the alternator and see what numbers are on it and make sure I get a match.

Don't pay dealer retail prices if you can avoid it. I think from memory the alternators were supplied to Mercedes/smart by Denso. Any decent parts distributor or motor factor should be able to supply one for less, or even have you own unit rebuilt to as new specification.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    have you got the right part number ?
    so maybe someone else (like Lilsmarty or another dealer ) can confirm the part is actually EOL with no substitute ?

(I'd take one dealers answer with a pinch of salt )

I can categorically confirm that MB no longer offer alternators for 450 or Roadster.
    Their advice is to buy one from a motor factors.

The very last alternator in Europe was fitted to my Roadster just before xmas (sorry!).

The problem is that motor factor alternators very rarely ever work in 450s or Roadsters without significant issues, and the same also applies to rebuilt alternators as they don't use the exact same components that the genuine MB units were fitted with. So it's quite likely we're going to see a lot of smarts find their way to the crusher because of this now.

If you can't source anything suitable just go for the alternator used in the 450 diesel. This one will work with a conventional charge lamp.

Denso are also no longer making the alternator we use!

Thread Information