VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread

Default DAB option / upgrade

I'm not (yet) the owner of a 453 but I'm hoping to get one (a forfour) in the near future (or at least, before they stop making the petrol models next year) but I've noticed that most 453s do not have the DAB option. Where it does, it can be - it seems - implemented with either the touch screen infotainment system or the lower end radio with smartphone cradle mount standard system. Can anyone tell me how this option is implemented? Is it physically a different head unit (meaning there are 4 kinds of factory fit head units? That seems unlikely) or some add-on module that's plugged into the head unit or (wouldn't surprise me) just some coding to turn on built-in DAB functionality? I note the DAB option adds another 190 to the price of a new smart, that seems a lot of money for just coding on something already there.

There seems to be very little written about any of the 453's radio units thus far, it's strange given that they are apparently the same as (or based on) the same units found in the Twingo (which have DAB as standard by the way) so I'm wondering if anyone else has swapped their factory fit head unit for an aftermarket one yet? There's not much around which directly fits the odd shaped mounting but I did find this interesting device:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

And this appears to have DAB+ support too. Curious to know if anyone here has got one of these and what it's like (especially with regards to DAB+)...
    Andrew Holland/

Default Re: DAB option / upgrade

If you look back in the 453 forums you should see the tear down (or at least the removal of both headunits , I did one and Corsasri did the touchscreen)
    Mine has factory fitted DAB , so you might be able to see from the details on the unit and compare it to a non-DAB unit to see if it is indeed a software enabled ‘thing’ or a physical extra module.
    Knowing the price of DAB modules (at the component level, there’s only one or two manufacturers actually make them , and they sell the module as a built thing to stitch into their own support electronics) I’d be surprised if smart fitted them to every car and enabled them software wise... it wouldn’t make financial sense, but I’m prepared to be proved wrong.

Of course at sales time , they are sold to us the drivers , as a ‘module’ , who knows how they actually achieve it.

If I could be bothered I’d open mine up and just have a look around inside the headunit casing , they are pi55 easy enough to spot.
    fq101.co.uk

i have had both dab and non dab in my opinion the dab is a waste of money it always cuts in and out

Quote Originally Posted by markbowie View Post
    i have had both dab and non dab in my opinion the dab is a waste of money it always cuts in and out
    I suppose it's a weak signal sharing the FM antenna? I tried that to start with when I fitted a DAB+ head unit to my 451. Soon after I fitted a glass mount antenna, so much better!
    Andrew Holland/

Thread Information