+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: with smart going electric only from 2019, will your next car be a smart?

I'm not interested in a new car whether petrol, diesel or electric as perfectly happy with my 450 and intend keeping that on the road.

Default Re: with smart going electric only from 2019, will your next car be a smart?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewh1973 View Post
    Had a test drive of a couple of forfour autos yesterday (both 71 and 90hp versions) at Mercedes Manchester. Very impressed with them, even the 71 felt nippy around town and was adequate on the M60, but maybe I'm just used to a lack of power having driven a 71hp 451 for 10 years and plan overtaking way in advance!

Anyway, mentioned to the sales guy that I've heard that smart are going electric only from 2019 (https://www.topgear.com/car-news/fra...o-ev-only-2019 for those who have not yet heard) and that I think this is a bad move, I certainly wouldn't be buying an electric forfour and that is for a multitude of reasons. I mused that maybe I should write to the CEO of smart and let my views be known, surely the opinions/needs of customers should matter? But then I wondered, am I in the minority here or not?

So simple question, if you're currently the owner of petrol/diesel powered smart and you're looking to replace it during or after 2019, would you be prepared to buy an electric smart or not, and if not, why not?
    It is a "No" from me.

My daily commute is 80 miles (40 miles each way). The vast majority of that (all bar 2 miles each end) is motorway driving. The stated range for the new ForTwo EQ is 99 miles, the article linked in the comment above says the real world range is “about 70 miles”. So unless I can charge at my destination I am running the gauntlet. I currently drive a 451 diesel. Without any effort over the last 19,534.5 miles I have averaged 75.1mpg. Smart stopped producing the diesel smarts in 2012 because they said their customers didn’t want it. Well I am a customer and I do, I’ve had two.
    Back to the EQ. Could I have one, well theoretically because across the road from my office is a car park that has eight 7kW car charging points. However, my office overlooks those points and the vast majority (99.9%) of the time they are inaccessible due to non-electric cars being parked in them. Because they are the closest to the entrance selfish drivers park in those bays first regardless of the power source of their cars.
    Without the range it is not worth the compromise. At weekends I sometimes travel to the south coast a distance of 94.9miles from me, time of travel 1hr 39mins. (data from google maps). So for a simple trip to the coast I will have to stop and hope that there is a charger free and also that it is working. The same on the way home.
    What about those impromptu trips. Get home from work on a Friday night pack a bag throw it in the car and head up to Wales for the weekend. Nah, impromptu wouldn’t exist. To begin with you need to charge before you leave. That is another of the drawbacks of Electric cars they assume you get to a destination and then don’t want to leave shortly afterwards to continue to another. How many people leave for their Bank Holiday getaways the night before, to miss the inevitable traffic. Zero chance of that with a pure electric car if you have used it before hand.
    Ok forget the impromptu, what about that holiday to other parts of the country, I like in Wales. Faced with a trip of 184 miles to destination (3 hours in my Smart) you would need to stop three times on the way to charge the EQ to ensure you arrived. In context, I could drive there and back and still not need to refuel in the diesel smart.
    The charging stations are too few and far between. I couldn’t (if circumstances dictate) have it as my one and only car and I don’t want to spend hours in a service station waiting to ‘fuel’ my car.
    So Smart CEO Annette Winkler says “Price is more important than range for our buyers . If we put in a bigger-capacity battery the price goes up. What matters is there will be supermarkets and car parks where you can charge up quickly“. I think that Annette is wrong. Range is what matters to most potential electric car buyers.
    On the 11th November 2018 is the ‘Simply Smart’ event at Beaulie. How many Smart owners are within 70 miles needed to get to the event in a 2018 ForTwo EQ without charging ? Are there charging points at Beaulie ? and do you think you could get there ahead of all the other people needing to use them in order to get home again ?
    I can’t imagine the logistics behind trying to take a ForTwo EQ to the Smartclubs 20th anniversary visit to Smartville Hambach, unless it was on the back of a trailer of course !

Since long before electric cars came over the horizon i have been puzzled at the way people will buy and run, at great expense, a large car, maybe 4x4, on the basis that "sometimes I need space and/or sometimes it snows". With the savings from buying/running a smaller, or in this case electric, car you could probably rent something more capable on the odd occasion it's needed and still have change.
    My next car (if I live that long) will be electric. My wife's Smart ... meh; I just can't imagine the grief that would come from her mixing with charging
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmike View Post
    Since long before electric cars came over the horizon
    I thought electric came first.

I stopped driving big a good few years ago when I realised that renting was so cheap and convenient.

If I have anything significant to shift a long way then I can get a big Vauxhall diesel estate for a weekend for £30 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I thought electric came first.
    Not in my lifetime
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmike View Post
    Not in my lifetime
    Not in anybody's lifetime now, all long dead.

My wife and I have two cars between us - not mine and hers, but a Smart 450 for local trips with limited luggage and an Estate for longer trips with bikes, kayaks, relatives, etc. When the Smart reaches the end of its life (17 and counting) we would like to replace it with a small electric car (probably not a Smart, as the new models look overweight!)

As I said earlier in the thread I will more than likely be looking at a Hybrid next, and even the new CLS AMG53 is a hybrid so depending on the ease of getting in and out of the car, I will seriously be looking at one of the new CLS for when I retire.

Better get an order in for a Brabus asap!
    I thought it was just US where they were going EV only.
    Really sad if it is everywhere
    Really not practical for me on the quoted ranges as my Smart is my only car.

Quote Originally Posted by ajf350d View Post
    I thought it was just US where they were going EV only.
    If it is the UK as well they are going to have to scrap manual only options that came with the 453 as all electrics are automatic.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15” Alloys

Thread Information