+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Re: with smart going electric only from 2019, will your next car be a smart?

I only expressed my honest opinion and I am sure many agree with me.

Default Re: with smart going electric only from 2019, will your next car be a smart?

Agree or not, your right to any opinion without fear of being personally insulted or attacked in any way is absolutely paramount in any civilised society.

Personal insult is the last resort of the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    You should not be allowed to own a car unless you have a suitable off street private parking.
    Then that would preclude an awful lot of people from owning cars, can't see that ever being a major vote winner or be especially practical. Doesn't solve any of the problems that electric cars present either. I assume you do have suitable off street parking into which you can fit a charging point? Is this simply a case of "I'm alright, sod you"?
    Andrew Holland/

I think that minimum age for driving should be raised to 62 and maximum age 64 on a rolling basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I think that minimum age for driving should be raised to 62 and maximum age 64 on a rolling basis.
    1) I am in favour of raising minimum driving age to at least 27 for boys and 25 for girls.
    2) I am also in favour of periodical driving skill retests both practical and theory exams.
    3) There should be a maximum power to weight ratio. Cars exceeding this ratio should be banned from driving on public roads unless power is permanently restricted.
    Driving a motor vehicle on a public road is a privilege and not a right.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    1) I am in favour of raising minimum driving age to at least 27 for boys and 25 for girls.
    That just got you 25 demerit points
    fq101.co.uk

Most of the 'bad' drivers seem to have no licence or insurance, and are often in 'borrowed' vehicles, so I doubt any of the above would have much effect .... except to increase the numbers who have no licence or insurance, and are often in 'borrowed' vehicles.
    We need more
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Spend more money on the roads and add more A.M.P.R cameras. Ban people who crash on the motor way.......crashing on a strait road, shouldn't be possible
    Now I'm all for the electric smart but why not have a model option like the combustion version. More power, more range something that's more attractive than the option of a dab radio.
    With the current range I'm unsure if the new electric smart is something we will be buying. Good for everyday but totally screwed if we need to travel for the than 90-100 miles.
    I do own a van but it's to big to take most places......may be the end of smart for us.

Will more than likely go Hybrid next after the Brabus probably look at a Toyota CHR or something similar but will decide closer to the time.
    Last edited by Triclops; 11th March 2018 at 18:55.

I contacted Annette Winkler, Chief Executive Officer of smart recently to share my concerns and unhappiness over the dropping of petrol models from next year and asked for confirmation of when exactly during 2019 production will cease. I've not received a reply from her but instead a fairly standard response from smart UK's customer services, the main bit being:

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the move towards electric engines for smart cars. There is no current details in respect of when the petrol version will be permanently removed from sale. In an effort to outline the reasons for this move I can confirm following market research and the demands of the UK customer base it has been decided to move toward a more environmentally conscious engine. Of course you feedback has been logged and will be available for the product development team to review. "

So basically, according to them, the models are being dropped because market research shows them there's insufficient demand for petrol models yet sufficient demand exists for electric models. Don't believe that for a second.

Fellow smart lovers, if you feel this is a wrong move as much as I do, please write to or email smart customer customer services and make your feelings known. Yes, ICEs are on their way out generally but the technology and infrastructure is not yet ripe for electric power to replace them totally
    and for most people. If only smart would have offered some kind of hybrid (BMW did it brilliantly - albeit expensively - with the i3 REX) or fuel cell option then I'd have found this easier to live with.

I happened to pop into Mercedes Manchester to make a parts dept. inquiry. So sad to see so many shiny new (and nearly new) forfours lined up there that I can't currently afford to buy knowing that by the time I can, they'll be gone..
    Andrew Holland/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information