+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: with smart going electric only from 2019, will your next car be a smart?

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    That would be nice, but why would a city car need that kind if range? Who regularly does 110+ miles at a time in an urban environment? I think most people should be more honest with themselves about their motoring needs.

And people harp about the Tesla and its remarkable range. Well, my Dad certainly doesn't. His Model S gets barely half the published range if you need the cabin heater and headlights on at the same time, which is rather a lot in England. It's coming whether we like it or not, and while batteries and energy density will improve there will be no radical upswing without some as yet unforseen technological breakthrough. If we all wait until our favourite urban run about does 200 to a charge then we'll still be waiting when the ICE cars are gone. So better to embrace it now and adapt our lives and motoring habits, rather than wait until we're forced to do so and be behind the curve.

Development and range diversity stalled terribly under Winkleman's tenure as leader of the firm. One would hope Geely, one of the big 3 automotive Chinese innovators, will pay more attention to the brand in that regard.
    What you didn'y mention Chopper (that may offer some valuable context) is "HOW does your dad drive" !? ..thing here as i've mentioned before is driving with a new technology not as you did an ICE vehicle (for starters) ..we have the old leaf 24 kilowatt hours version, yes winter drops mileage, but then again my wife uses the bloody heater more often than not (stuffy cabin to me).

Regen often gives us an additional 18 -21% range
    She drives around 3.9 -4.1 miles per kWh of battery used ....& loves it.
    She does drive carefully & uses its fast acceleration for overtaking on country roads, ...it pulls like a train when asked of it.

However if you drive as you did before yes you'll get far less mileage than stated (lead foot scenario)
    Also the model S is a bloody big vehicle, weighty too (for a reason) but is a LARGE car by uk standards, which is why so many are waiting for the model 3 over here.

anyone driving e.v. will have to change their driving technique (esp for regen which is a joy to see) ...wife hardly touches the brakes proper, to the point I have to ask her to give them a go to clean them off from time to time.

If your dad used cabin pre-heat whilst it was still plugged in likely that would go a good way to saving energy, however as we get older we tend to get colder, so it may just be down to age, (again not the car) ...temperature affects battery performance, but if I was getting 200 miles i'd be a happy guy.

Plugging in takes me approximately 7 seconds at home compared to a 30 minute trip to & fro to the fume filled petrol station, ...it is simple & knocks out the regular too & fro of regular garage visits.

I'd recommend anyone gets a lower temp screenwash as there is no engine heat to unfreeze the large metal box sitting over night. ..again garaging may make a difference to battery temp when sitting inside vs outside & thus mileage ..but try fitting a tesla in a regular uk single garage *cough*

And please, folks get your richard harris'es booking tickiets for the silverstone fully charged show, lots of cars & test drives on the track, hint FRIDAY if possible! weekend will be rammed!

Wife bought the leaf 4 days after last years event.. (the stealth ninja).

Battery density changes everything, depends what a manufacturer wants to put in, ....concept of design & empirical realities of customer base use being different, we have no qualms with 30 mins on a fast charger (chances are its at a destination).

In almost a year of ownership & in excess of 13,000 miles it has never hindered us, & we've made it home on empty when pushed (roadworks late at night) ...tbh the wife is more wary nowadays of driving a smart on a motorway than her leaf running out of electrons ...as you'd all say to motorway driving, ..it's all in your head! (ditto range anxiety realistically).

Don't fret about battery cars, fret at the manufacturer screwing up from the outset with the statement of "citi-car" (as mentioned in another thread) ..which considering the other merc battery (13 amp plug in screw up) is what has me most concerned.

& start getting your firms to get charge posts installed go's a long way to solving range anxiety & adaptation.
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Default Re: with smart going electric only from 2019, will your next car be a smart?

tickiets for the silverstone fully charged show, lots of cars & test drives on the track, hint FRIDAY if possible! weekend will be rammed!

I was at Fully Charge Live 2018 and already have my ticket for this year - going on the Friday as I'm hoping it will not be as busy as the weekend was last year.

I'm angling to go friday.

did you get it at the patreon price?
    New to Smart (450 city coupe 0.7 pulse)
    E.V. Owner (Nissan leaf)
    17 snowboards (ish)
    Bitter drinker (not bitter)
    Cheapskate, Skateboarder,
    Old enough to know better.

Thread Information