+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default with smart going electric only from 2019, will your next car be a smart?

Had a test drive of a couple of forfour autos yesterday (both 71 and 90hp versions) at Mercedes Manchester. Very impressed with them, even the 71 felt nippy around town and was adequate on the M60, but maybe I'm just used to a lack of power having driven a 71hp 451 for 10 years and plan overtaking way in advance!

Anyway, mentioned to the sales guy that I've heard that smart are going electric only from 2019 (https://www.topgear.com/car-news/fra...o-ev-only-2019 for those who have not yet heard) and that I think this is a bad move, I certainly wouldn't be buying an electric forfour and that is for a multitude of reasons. I mused that maybe I should write to the CEO of smart and let my views be known, surely the opinions/needs of customers should matter? But then I wondered, am I in the minority here or not?

So simple question, if you're currently the owner of petrol/diesel powered smart and you're looking to replace it during or after 2019, would you be prepared to buy an electric smart or not, and if not, why not?
    Andrew Holland/

Default Re: with smart going electric only from 2019, will your next car be a smart?

I would have an electric one tomorrow if I came across one that I considered was a bargain. I do maybe 3 miles a day on average with maybe 15 miles being the maximum journey every few weeks. An electric one would be ideal for me, I only get around 45 mpg from my 451 diesel on average.

They are very expensive used in the UK, they are much cheaper in the states and I wondered about buying a rear sub frame complete and shipping it over. I have a 451 without engine and box that would be ideal to transplant the electric bits in.

Default Re: with smart going electric only from 2019, will your next car be a smart?

Buy a second hand electric milk float. Convert to camper van with all necessary facilities or invest in an electric mobility scooter.

If the battery capacity was on par with the Renault Zoe (41 kWh), new Nissan Leaf (40 kWh) or BMW i3 (33 kWh) I'd consider one. The fortwo and forfour are both 17.6 kWh which translates to a massive difference in usability and real world range.

I had a previous generation 24 kWh Nissan Leaf so I'm already sold on how good electric vehicles can be.

As i now do very little motoring at 81. I picked up a peugeot iOn battery car just over two years ago as at that time four year leases were coming to an end and there were plenty on the market, all under 7000. Although mine has a mileage of approx 60 miles it enables me to get about to do local shopping.
    One of the drawbacks depending on the the weather charging can vary, better input on a sunny day. I had the external charging unit fitted by POLAR at a cost of under 300.
    For me it does the job, but to be a serious car the mileage and the cost has to be greatly improved.

I agree with your thoughts re range, if a forfour had one with a new leaf-like range, I'd consider it too.

I had a test drive of a Suzuki Ignis automatic on Saturday. Have to say, while the interior plastics and general build quality are not up to the same standard as the 2nd or 3rd generation smarts, the handling and quality of the ride wasn't horrible, perfectly acceptable if not as refined as the current smarts (but more refined than the 2nd generation smarts). The amount of standard kit on the cars is impressive too, all models come with DAB, no expensive option that few ever go for here. The design of the cabin is spacious and very practical (more so than a forfour) even though the car is barely longer than a forfour. Dashboard is well designed, distinctive and clear and doesn't look in anyway cheap (unless you touch some of the plastics!). The 89bhp 1.2l petrol engine (there's only one engine option) is a cheery little thing too, though the gear changes with the auto box were a little sluggish at times (like a 451 on a bad day, not when new) and the car feels a bit more "tinny" and built down to a price than smarts currently do. My wife was sitting at the back and was less impressed, she said the road noise and harshness of the ride from the rear axle made for a somewhat unpleasant ride, but none of this was really noticeable up front where the car was comfortable, composed (most of the time) and felt like a "big" car despite it's small size and forfour like proportions, the short snub nose really helping with pulling out at junctions. So, overall I liked it (but it's not a car I instantly loved like I did during the forfour test drives) and it's certainly a viable alternative to a forfour if it turns out that when I eventually come to buy a new car, the forfours have ceased. Makes me think again that Mercedes are making a mistake axing the petrols so soon...
    Last edited by andrewh1973; 12th February 2018 at 01:28.
    Andrew Holland/

Quote Originally Posted by andrewh1973 View Post
    Had a test drive of a couple of forfour autos yesterday (both 71 and 90hp versions) at Mercedes Manchester. Very impressed with them, even the 71 felt nippy around town and was adequate on the M60, but maybe I'm just used to a lack of power having driven a 71hp 451 for 10 years and plan overtaking way in advance!

Anyway, mentioned to the sales guy that I've heard that smart are going electric only from 2019 (https://www.topgear.com/car-news/fra...o-ev-only-2019 for those who have not yet heard) and that I think this is a bad move, I certainly wouldn't be buying an electric forfour and that is for a multitude of reasons. I mused that maybe I should write to the CEO of smart and let my views be known, surely the opinions/needs of customers should matter? But then I wondered, am I in the minority here or not?

So simple question, if you're currently the owner of petrol/diesel powered smart and you're looking to replace it during or after 2019, would you be prepared to buy an electric smart or not, and if not, why not?
    I’m not looking to buy in 2019 as I’ve only just bought new in 2017. Went for a ForTwo Prime Sport.

Daily I do 70 miles round trip. There is no possibility of charging at work and I don’t have a driveway. The nearest public charging point is 4 miles away.

I do not see most electric cars being viable options. So no would be my answer.
    smart ForTwo Coupe Prime Sport - smart Roadster

You should not be allowed to own a car unless you have a suitable off street private parking.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    You should not be allowed to own a car unless you have a suitable off street private parking.
    Are you a professional arsehole or only on forums?
    smart ForTwo Coupe Prime Sport - smart Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Further to that: People that believe that other people should not have their own opinions but should believe what they believe should be shot at birth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information