VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Remove stripped head screw on break drum

Quote Originally Posted by pewe View Post
    Sorry to be a bit obtuse guys, but when you refer to a 'persuader' (it's not a term I'm familiar with.), are you talking about a particular tool, or something else?
    You've already used one, it can be rubber, steel, wooden, a softer copper head etc etc just pick something suitable for the job in hand

hammer.jpg
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    This is a myth debunked.
    Acetone and ATF do not mix regardless how much you shake or agitate. They are incompatible fluids just like oil and water.

Above is a 50-50% "mix" of used ATF transmission fluid drained from my Smart 450 and industrial acetone. I've been shaking the jar now for at least ten years and the fluids have still not mixed.
    The fluids will separate in less than 5 minutes after having shaken jar vigorously.
    They do not need to mix. The volatile solution penetrates then evaporates leaving the lubricant. It will work with any pair of suitable liquids.

Here is a 40% acetone / 60% ATF mix that is at least 2 years since mixed. No separation at all ever.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    They do not need to mix. The volatile solution penetrates then evaporates leaving the lubricant. It will work with any pair of suitable liquids.

Here is a 40% acetone / 60% ATF mix that is at least 2 years since mixed. No separation at all ever.

I think Tolstoy's concoction is a Ribena mix with undertones of damson jam , this is indefensible.
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    I think Tolstoy's concoction is a Ribena mix with undertones of damson jam , this is indefensible.
    Nah, probably Scottish ATF and English acetone. Well there's yer problem mate.

Transmission oil gets black after years of service but is still transmission oil.
    Whether fresh or old, ATF and acetone just won't mix. Google it and you will see.

The acetone evaporates in seconds cooling down the ATF thereby making ATF more viscous and less effective in penetrating crevices.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Transmission oil gets black after years of service but is still transmission oil.
    Whether fresh or old, ATF and acetone just won't mix. Google it and you will see.

The acetone evaporates in seconds cooling down the ATF thereby making ATF more viscous and less effective in penetrating crevices.
    That is untrue. It mixes fine.

Dodgy ingredients
    fq101.co.uk

Dodgy ingredients
    Possibly but may be operator error.

I thought it could be the corrosion you get between alloy wheels and cast iron drums (dissimilar metals reaction)

Anyway if you use a puller, use the persuader also otherwise the shoes may tilt and make it even worse , a persuader will maybe jog them along as you pull
    Hmmmmm.... I has noticed a further complication to removing the drum.
    If you look closely at my picture you'll see what looks like a sealant oozing from the hub/drum joint.
    At first I thought it was just a build up of rust, but when I tried to clean it off a powdery 'white sealant' was exposed, and this seems to be covering the complete surface between the hub and drum.

I think I may need to get hold of a puller - if I can find one large enough locally.
    You've already used one, it can be rubber, steel, wooden, a softer copper head etc etc just pick something suitable for the job in hand

Attachment 4371
    There was me thinking you meant one of these

There was me thinking you meant one of these

Can’t be as sadly they are both dead.

Thread Information