VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Back in the UK again and mulling my next car

Welcome back After many years of fortwo ownership, just over 12 months ago I moved across to the new forfour, and I haven't looked back since. I went for the proxy premium turbo DCT. At the time i'd been toying with various specs of factory order, but in the end, looking at the prices, I decided ex-demo/pre-reg was the only real option. In an ideal world I wanted a passion turbo DCT, but not being able to have the glass roof and various other colour options put the nail in the coffin for that idea.

As for the car, overall I would say it's leagues ahead in terms of comfort & refinement compared to even the 451, yet still maintains a lot of the smart character. I would advise, if you can, try to take a test drive in a few cars before you buy one, ideally in different specs so you can see which works best for you. I personally couldn't live with the interior on the prime, for me, the seats just weren't comfortable at all. I loved the Passion interior, it felt comfortable but I couldn't spec the car how I wanted, so when the proxy came along, it was the perfect combination of both.

Spec wise, if you're going for one, I would say absolute musts are the 90 turbo engine, the DCT gearbox and the comfort pack.

"elle est belle, votre petite auto Monsieur"

We'll be selling our 15 plate forfour, turbo, manual ED#1 soon. Night sky opening roof, heated seats & DAB as extras to what already had the premium plus & sports packs. So sat-nav, reversing camera, height adjustable seat & wheel, electric mirrors iirc It's lowered & currently BIG mapped & itg induction kit fitted. iirc about 17000 miles.

Nice car but we just don't use them, most of those miles were done before the kid took up go karting & we needed a van or by Paul's daughter when she's needed more than a fortwo!

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by whittaker52 View Post
    I went for the proxy premium turbo DCT.

But the Proxy is no longer offered as far as I can see, so what was wrong with the Prime interior and seats then, are the seats not the same just covered with different stuff on the various trim levels?

For me too a passion would be my ideal choice but the lack of glass roof might end up being a dealbreaker for me also. Just how gloomy is the forfour without the glass roof anyway?

I'm curious to know what the DCT is like, I've never really had a problem with the 451's AMT box (though having to press the button to select Auto mode once each time the engine is started still irks me even after 10 years!) but I'm thinking it's more akin to the auto box in the GLA I drove (which I was rather impressed by) than the 451 AMT?

I see what you mean re pre-reg/ex demo, there do seem to be some bargains to be had, if only I could stand all red, this would tempt me for example...

https://used.thesmart.co.uk/vehicled...bfe4261efc5d14
    Last edited by andrewh1973; 12th January 2018 at 21:00.
    Andrew Holland/

Quote Originally Posted by andrewh1973 View Post

I'm curious to know what the DCT is like, I've never really had a problem with the 451's AMT box (though having to press the button to select Auto mode once each time the engine is started still irks me even after 10 years!) but I'm thinking it's more akin to the auto box in the GLA I drove (which I was rather impressed by) than the 451 AMT?

I see what you mean re pre-reg/ex demo, there do seem to be some bargains to be had, if only I could stand all red, this would tempt me for example...

https://used.thesmart.co.uk/vehicled...bfe4261efc5d14
    DCT is ‘mazing .... one drive and you’ll be sold on it.... the clutch action is so quick between the two clutches that power transfer is virtually seamless .... just press go and you pretty much just don’t have any jumps/lurch like previous models (and I’ve had smarts since 2002)... the key is in the dual clutch action.

That red one is nice , apart from the rims that is ...
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    DCT is ‘mazing .... one drive and you’ll be sold on it.... the clutch action is so quick between the two clutches that power transfer is virtually seamless .... just press go and you pretty much just don’t have any jumps/lurch like previous models (and I’ve had smarts since 2002)... the key is in the dual clutch action.

That red one is nice , apart from the rims that is ...
    Thanks, sounds great, I will definitely have to have a test drive soon!

What is wrong with the rims anyhow?

I also don't get how this:

https://used.thesmart.co.uk/vehicled...0699953297714e

Can be otherwise the same spec of car as the red one it seems, but has a higher mileage but yet is priced higher:

https://used.thesmart.co.uk/vehicled...0699953297714e

why's this one dearer?
    Last edited by andrewh1973; 13th January 2018 at 09:36.
    Andrew Holland/

But the Proxy is no longer offered as far as I can see, so what was wrong with the Prime interior and seats then, are the seats not the same just covered with different stuff on the various trim levels?
    Correct, they discontinued the proxy line about 12 months ago, but there are still a few cars floating around. Saying that though, the interior is an acquired taste. It's kinda hard to explain about the comfort thing. Basically because the centre of the seat is Artico on the Prime, it has the effect of tensioning the foam underneath it, so there is very little give, so it makes the seats uncomfortable, at least for me. Where as the Passion and Proxy have a cloth centre, so it makes for a much softer feel.

The glass roof issue was really the deal killer for me on the Passion. It wasn't overly dark inside, but once you've had the glass roof, it spoils you and it makes the interior feel much larger & more open, which I feel is especially important on a darker interior.

I really like that red one! There are some great deals around when you start looking.

Correct, they discontinued the proxy line about 12 months ago, but there are still a few cars floating around. Saying that though, the interior is an acquired taste. It's kinda hard to explain about the comfort thing. Basically because the centre of the seat is Artico on the Prime, it has the effect of tensioning the foam underneath it, so there is very little give, so it makes the seats uncomfortable, at least for me. Where as the Passion and Proxy have a cloth centre, so it makes for a much softer feel.

The glass roof issue was really the deal killer for me on the Passion. It wasn't overly dark inside, but once you've had the glass roof, it spoils you and it makes the interior feel much larger & more open, which I feel is especially important on a darker interior.

I really like that red one! There are some great deals around when you start looking.
    Ah now I get it, Artico aka pleather, right? Either way I prefer fabric seats and since there won't be any more ultra low mileage Proxy models left by the time I do come to buy, I'm probably going to have to eschew the glass roof just to get fabric seats, what a stupid compromise Mercedes are forcing people to make. You'd at least think the seats would be an option!

I think I've pretty much decided against a 71bhp though, but I'm going to have a test drive of that and a 90bhp auto in due course though...

But for me, smarts should always be two-tone, a single colour is just wrong!
    Last edited by andrewh1973; 13th January 2018 at 21:08.
    Andrew Holland/

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Maybe they've changed it since model start , I'm talking about the non touch head unit by the way ... I'll double check mine later
    Thanks, would be interesting to know...
    Andrew Holland/

Ah now I get it, Artico aka pleather, right? Either way I prefer fabric seats and since there won't be any more ultra low mileage Proxy models left by the time I do come to buy, I'm probably going to have to eschew the glass roof just to get fabric seats, what a stupid compromise Mercedes are forcing people to make. You'd at least think the seats would be an option!

I think I've pretty much decided against a 71bhp though, but I'm going to have a test drive of that and a 90bhp auto in due course though...

But for me, smarts should always be two-tone, a single colour is just wrong!
    Bingo! Lovely pleather lol. I wanted cloth too, but for me, this was the best compromise that I really liked. You never know, there are a few out there, and people are quite scared off by the bright interior, so one might be hanging around when you're ready. But I completely agree, it's stupid how you have to compromise just to get a glass roof or cloth interior. I can understand it on one level, but in mainland Europe, you can have it exactly how you want if you're willing to pay the price, so why not here? I absolutely agree with you on the two tone thing too!

As for the headunits, I believe there are two versions of each different type - normal FM and FM/DAB.

As for the headunits, I believe there are two versions of each different type - normal FM and FM/DAB.
    Hmm I thought it was just add on module plugged into the head unit, can someone with a DAB one confirm this in any way?

I reality I will likely not be able to get a forfour until next year, finances being what they are, so was sad to see yesterday an email from smart confirming that from 2019 they'll only make electric smarts.... noooooo!! an electric is totally impractical for me (and many of you I'd have thought) for a number of reasons, so I guess one way or another I also need to ask myself what non smart would I want whether I have a forfour soon or not... still stuck for ideas for something as desirable, compact, quirky and (relatively) affordable as the smarts... Bad decision Mercedes, bad...
    Andrew Holland/

Thread Information