VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread

Question Annoying seat click click? Any ideas?

I love driving my ForFour but it has a click click when cornering which is beginning to really annoy me. Happens when I corner and my weight dips into the side of the seat and clicks again when coming out of the corner. I thought at first something rolling back and forth but it's not.
    If I put my hand down the side of the seat frame it clicks once then again when coming out the corner. I can actually feel it in the seat frame.
    Only thing I can think of is to remove the drivers seat and check it out? Odd star shape bolts holding it in though plus two electrical connections underneath to disconnect. Heated seat is one. The other?

Oh I'm only 88kg so don't think it's me being too heavy?

Maybe it's just loose?

Anyone had this irritating noise?

Thanks

Default Re: Annoying seat click click? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by NigelB View Post

Maybe it's just loose?
    It's either not bolted down properly or the seat is faulty ...... warranty either way (3 years) ..... why on earth would you want to mess about taking it out yourself ??
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
    Odd star shape bolts holding it in though plus two electrical connections underneath to disconnect. Heated seat is one. The other?
    Bolts are probably Torx heads.
    The other connector will likely be seat belt pretensioner and/or side-airbag. You need to take precautions before messing with those.

But as TAIM says, why not let the dealer do it under warranty? If they refuse or fail then maybe have a look yourself to find the problem.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmike View Post
    Bolts are probably Torx heads.
    The other connector will likely be seat belt pretensioner and/or side-airbag. You need to take precautions before messing with those.

But as TAIM says, why not let the dealer do it under warranty? If they refuse or fail then maybe have a look yourself to find the problem.
    To be honest I hadn't thought of taking in under warranty for just a click. I'll try that first. I'm so used to sorting things like this myself. I have a Mercedes garage quite close so I'll get them to have a look.

You may be smartless for a few days. Is a wee click now and then worth that much?

Generally not but every weight shift left or right in the seat when cornering and again pulling up the handbrake makes this click. At first I didn't mind but now every day it's becoming very irritating.

Well I had it checked out at local Mercedes dealer but it's just the same. They had it in for a morning and at least I got a free car clean. They said they heard it once when they had it and assumed it's all ok. I think I need to remove the seat myself and have a good look underside at the frame.

Trouble is the amount of movement to make these noises is usually tiny. If it only does it with weight on the seat I doubt you'll be able to diagnose it out of the car. I'd try and find the source with it still installed and only remove it to fix it once the problem is found, if needed, or as a final, desperate measure.
    A brave assistant would be ideal as one can often feel with fingers, or possibly hear, the movement/location that clicks better than see it. Absent a human a mobile set to video and placed in different areas under the seat might throw light on it.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Try a different dealer , or return to same dealer and shout
    fq101.co.uk

Thread Information