thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread

Default Odd lights issue

Driving tonight with the headlights on dip. As I approached home I indicated right and immediately selected high beam (deliberately). The lights didn't change. Flicker the steam back to dip and then back to main and they went to main and back to dip, with a slight lag.
    Then I made the turn and with the indicator now off and a bit of time I played around. Not only did it now not go to main beam at all, turning the switch to side and then off had no effect (we don't have the auto lights afaik). So I got on the drive, set the switch off - still on dip beam, thinking I would have disconnect the battery. Turned off the ignition - lights went out.
    Took the key out, went and opened the garage door, got back in and restarted the engine. Operated the lights - side, head, dip, main - all seemed good again.

So basically ... wtf?
    Anyone else had something like this?

2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.
    Last edited by dpmike; 13th September 2017 at 23:29. Reason: Car info added

Default Re: Odd lights issue

Sounds like just a glitch , although I'd get them to check it I doubt they'll discover anything.... the restart/reboot allowed it to get its bearings again.

Stalks (and other electricals/controls) just aren't wired as directly to the hardware as they used to be in cars gone by.... they're mostly 'talking' to the microprocessor which then sorts out the hardware as commanded.

PS: You may not have discovered yet a little oddity in the smart lights stalk, you can't physically turn the lights switch to the off position if you're on main beam... you need to dip beam , then it works normally.
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 13th September 2017 at 21:40.
    fq101.co.uk

Yes, the way it fixed itself suggested to me that the stalk was not a direct connection to the lights. I'll have to have a play sometime and see if the way I went to indicate and then immediately to main beam is a repeatable cause of the glitch.

No, I didn't know about that oddity. I'd better warn SWMBO as it's bound to catch her out sometime, though she still gets fooled by the ignition key being 'jammed' by the steering lock at times, and that has happened with various cars over the years.

I had the same issue on lights, on main beam, use indicator and high beam wouldn't work afterwards unless you turned engine off and back on. Dealer replaced the unit and it fixed the problem. Although it did take me a while to get the dealer to understand the problem, eventually wrote down the sequence and told them to follow it exactly, they did and replicated the problem.

I finally got to run some testing on this ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    PS: You may not have discovered yet a little oddity in the smart lights stalk, you can't physically turn the lights switch to the off position if you're on main beam... you need to dip beam , then it works normally.
    Yep. Rather odd, but if it's deliberate I can see some logic to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Janette View Post
    ..., eventually wrote down the sequence and told them to follow it exactly, they did and replicated the problem.
    Sadly I've not been able to replicate it again on mine; it worked as it should. If it's a mechanical issue I guess yours was worse than ours.
    Which unit did they replace? The stalk on the steering column or an electronic module?

Hi, it was the electronic module. Apparently it was a "known" potential problem

Quote Originally Posted by Janette View Post
    Hi, it was the electronic module. Apparently it was a "known" potential problem
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye on ours. If it does it a few more times I might try bouncing it off the dealer when it's in for a service, but I imagine it won't become reliably faulty until the warranty has run out

Think I had something similar. Went out to get fuel. Dipped beam lights on. As I came up to a round about I braked and indicated left. And got a warning beep and this on the dash:

I didn’t realise until on the way back. But main beam wasn’t working. Switched the engine off and on and the flasher main beam worked. But not proper mainbeam. Turned the lights on off a few times. Can’t remember if I cycled the ignition again or not. And then it suddenly worked as normal again.

Will have to see if it does it again.
    smart ForTwo Coupe Prime Sport - smart Roadster

Thread Information