VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Smart Fortwo Passion MHD

It is a pretty trivial problem if you are into electronics. You could monitor the up and down sensors and if either is activated then close the auto switch momentarily.

A PIC micro would do this in 10 lines of assembler.

Default Re: Disabling Softip Semi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    She keeps asking how it can be an automatic and a manual, I've told her to just think of it as an auto with the ability to manually select gearing if she chooses without the need of a clutch.
    Get in any true/conventional auto and you'll have the same option, fully auto or 'manual' selection.

(albeit under the skin it's achieved differently on the smart and a conventional auto)
    fq101.co.uk

Default Re: Disabling Softip Semi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Get in any true/conventional auto and you'll have the same option, fully auto or 'manual' selection.

(albeit under the skin it's achieved differently on the smart and a conventional auto)
    Not all. My R Class doesn't have a manual option, just two rocker switches (they're both the same) that limit the max gear it'll change up to, the later R Class does have flappy paddles though. Manual control of proper autos is a relatively new option, certainly none of my 4 speed auto Vauxhalls have had a manual option.

Quote Originally Posted by whittaker52 View Post
    Regardless of what mode the car is in (providing there are no issues with the gearbox), the car should automatically shift up gears when it hits the redline. ....
    Pretty sure my 84bhp turbo doesn't .... I've forgotten I'm in manual sooo many times ....& rev'd the nads of it when I've set off. But my Roadster definitely does.

I knew I should have said ‘most’

And topped it off with ‘decent’ you’re
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 22nd January 2018 at 21:29.
    fq101.co.uk

For 'traditional' (torque converter) autos it was usual to have PRND321 on the selector. For most of the ones I had, selecting a number set that as the highest gear to use, with normal selection up to that point. My last one, a US Ford, selecting a number forced it into that gear (subject to speed interlocks).
    So some ability to override the automatic is not new.
    2016, ForTwo cabriolet, 900 turbo, DCT, Prime Premium, unmodified.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    Pretty sure my 84bhp turbo doesn't .....
    I was wrong. It does change ..... eventually, after it's bounced off the limiter. The Roadster doesn't rev that much before it changes up a gear

Thread Information