VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread

Default Need to replace Highline audio unit

The Highline audio/satnav unit in my 2012 fortwo Cabrio (84) is not fit for purpose. Radio reception is poor, satnav capability is unacceptable. There are loads of double DNS units on ebay from less that 100 to 500. Has anyone here replaced their Highline unit? Can anyone recommend a decent replacement? My priorities are good FM/AM radio performance, bluetooth phone connection, satnav capability. I use the SD card music option on the Highline but I'd be content to transfer the music to a CD-R. Not bothered about playing music from a phone, I don't keep music on my phone.
    I have been using my phone as satnav and it's fine but I don't like "make do and mend" solutions.
    I'm not capable of a DIY swap so if anyone knows of a good audio centre in the NE Manchester area I'd be grateful for a recommendation.

Default Re: Need to replace Highline audio unit

Have you proved the poor reception is down to a deaf front end in the head unit ?

I'd be checking the aerial and its cable first !, substitute a temporary aerial and confirm poor reception or not.

What's 'unacceptable' about the satnav ?
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Have you proved the poor reception is down to a deaf front end in the head unit ?

I'd be checking the aerial and its cable first !, substitute a temporary aerial and confirm poor reception or not.
    Might give that a try, but I have read elsewhere that radio performance of this unit is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    What's 'unacceptable' about the satnav ?
    No full postcode input, and it has taken me down some real no-go roads. Plus it's not possible to update the maps.

Am on the very same quest myself. I'm put off the generic far eastern Android boxes by what I read about less than perfect user interfaces. When driving you need a simple, intuitive way to work. As you say the Highline navigation sucks and the rest of the unit isn't much better - flaky integration with iPods, piss poor radio and non-intuitive controls.

Personally I love the Sony XNV units (now second hand only) as they use TomTom navigation and the rest aint bad. Don't think there's many other after market double DIN units that offer TomTom and in my opinion it's the best from a navigation point of view and their live traffic has saved me hours of being stuck in jams etc.

I'd be tempted by Waze but it doesn't support Apple app radio or car play and is therefore limited to a separate device. Also the speed camera alerts in Waze don't recognise mobile camera sites which I believe is short-sighted. The cameras are not always there but the sites are repeatable, fixed and known.

Thread Information