+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default 2007 ForTwo Reverse issue

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help me out, as this problem has been with me for a while now and it's getting worse.

Whenever I start my Smart ForTwo 2007, I put my foot on the break and select Reverse. I'd say 7 times out of 10, it actually goes into reverse and it's happy days. The other 3 times out of 10 it says in Nuetral. Or atleast that's what the screen says, because the Reverse lights come on and my reserve sensors come on.

I try putting it back into Neutral, selecting First driving forward a bit and then stopping, going back to N then R and still the screen says Neutral, it gets to the point sometimes where it starts flashing Neutral and you have to restart the car.

I'v has it several times where I've had to restart the car a good 20 times before the Reverse will finally work, this is bad in car parks where your ticket has an exit limit, I'v had it not work during three point turns, which is scary.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?
    Last edited by CarlRyds; 21st June 2017 at 02:18.

Default Re: 2007 ForTwo Reverse issue

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

This sounds potentially like a clutch actuator issue. Assuming this is a 451 (where it is a 57 plate Fortwo), I'd see about getting the actuator lubricated by a independent (Mastertech around Droylsden have had good reviews in the past), having any gearbox software updates applied via a STAR machine which a good independent should have and then the actuator retaught.

Thanks for the reply!

Yep, it's a 57 plate / 451

I forgot to mention that I'v had the clutch actuator replaced about 2 months ago, because it basically died on me at some traffic lights and the car went into limp mode, as the pusher pin thingy (not a technical term hehe) inside the actuator, had snapped clean off.

This issue with reverse was there before and after the replacement of the clutch actuator, in that case would you say it's likely a software issue?
    Last edited by CarlRyds; 21st June 2017 at 02:39.

Yeah, I would get the software updated in that case, it is a fairly straight forwards procedure to do.

Would I need to go to Smart themselves for that to be done? Would they charge me? as I'd say a software issue is their fault, but it's out of warrenty, so I don't know how that would fly hehe.
    Last edited by CarlRyds; 21st June 2017 at 02:53.

In two years of ownership something similar has happened to me once. However in my case I couldn't get into R or 1. When this happens can you get into 1 or are you just unable to select R?
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15 Alloys

Thread Information