VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread

Cool Smart Climate Control

Hi all, I like most things about my 2017 Prime Auto.....except when idling along slowly in traffic with the air con on it seems difficult to drive smoothly, as every time the air con compressor kicks in and the engine RPM increases to compensate, the car surges forward, then when the compressor cuts out again, it feels like someone put the brakes on, so we make our way forward in a series of jerks! I don't remember it being such a problem with either my previous 450 or 451, but they did not have climate, the air con was either on or off, wish I had the option to just select 'On' as well as climate. Does any one else find this happens to their Smart Auto's in this lovely hot weather?

Default Re: Smart Climate Control

I found exactly this on the demo cars at smart times - i'd try another but I fear it's how it is.
    Tony - Living life with Pure Passion, always with my finger on the Pulse

yes my new fortwo 0.9 does the same thing but my old 2015 0.9 forfour manual did not

Thanks for the replies, looks like one of those Smart 'quirks', but maybe it will be tackled in later models if enough of us moan to Smart about it!

That's the side effect of a small engine and a fairly big mechanical load kicked in with a instant (compressor) clutch
    You couldn't program it out of it apart from disabling aircon in 1st and possibly 2nd gear.... or devising a gradual clutch.
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    That's the side effect of a small engine and a fairly big mechanical load kicked in with a instant (compressor) clutch
    You couldn't program it out of it apart from disabling aircon in 1st and possibly 2nd gear.... or devising a gradual clutch.
    A small torque converter would do it but don't hold your breath waiting for the manufacturers to go to that expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    A small torque converter would do it but don't hold your breath waiting for the manufacturers to go to that expense.
    Could be done with a belt clutch , with a mechanism to bring up the tension to achieve engagement tension, that might take a lot of the engagement shock out of the system.
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    I have found that switching out the 'econ' mode improves the situation at slightly higher speeds as the auto box does not go through the lower gears as quickly, oh well. all part of the fun!

Thread Information