VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 451 Pure spec

Question 451 Pure spec

Hi folks,

plans are afoot to add a 451 to the current stable, allowing the 450 to officially become semi-retired. Though I know the 450 model fairly well after 11 years of ownership, the 451 is something I've never really looked at.

We'd be looking at another Pure, ideally with similar spec to our current car. I'm guessing electric windows/softouch/pods were all optional extras?

Some cars I've looked at have a temperature gauge, others just have a large fuel gauge running across the bottom of the speedo, when did this change come in?

I assume the Pulse and Passion came with the glass roof, perhaps with the solid roof being a no cost option as with the 450. This would limit us to the Pure as we prefer the solid roof.

Thanks for any help.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool....

Default Re: 451 Pure spec

We'd be looking at another Pure, ideally with similar spec to our current car. I'm guessing electric windows/softouch/pods were all optional extras?
    As far as I recall, I've never seen a 451 Pure with these options but they were all available at cost (reference: http://www.evilution.co.uk/files/sma...wo451price.pdf). I guess finding them on a Pure might be more difficult though because why go for that level over a Pulse?

Some cars I've looked at have a temperature gauge, others just have a large fuel gauge running across the bottom of the speedo, when did this change come in?
    Late 2008ish I think. Be aware at around this time as well, the MHD became the only N/A 451 engine you could have as well, which if the belt breaks can cause the car to overheat (plenty of discussions elsewhere on the forum about this).

I assume the Pulse and Passion came with the glass roof, perhaps with the solid roof being a no cost option as with the 450. This would limit us to the Pure as we prefer the solid roof.
    Looking at a price list from 2007, this is indeed the case. The roof on a 451 isn't glass, it is a perspex type of roof.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 12th June 2017 at 13:12.

Quote Originally Posted by jonus View Post

The latter Pulses came with a solid roof as well, not sure when the change was made but upon release in 2007 both Pulse and Passion came with the sunroof.
    2007 Smart Fortwo Passion Coupe C451 Turbo 999cc 84bhp
    Electric Windows
    Air Conditioning
    Smart Radio 9
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Luggage Compartment Cover
    Softouch Automatic Gear Program
    Bodypanels & Tridion Cell in Silver Metallic
    15" Alloy Wheels

I've got a 2008 Pure for sale, low miles (iirc 26,000 ish), aftermarket alloys & genuine DRL (facelift type) added by previous owner along with genuine seat covers. Has pods but no softouch & manual windows. Has not much over 1,000 miles on crated engine & gearbox (from MB) as managed to knock into gear whilst on A-frame (car-a-tow, still fitted) and his wife decided she prefered a 'proper' manual.

Thanks a lot for the info folks, all very helpful. I had heard of the MHD issue, sounds like one to avoid if possible. I think we'd be wise to widen the search to include the Pulse and Passion models as we're clearly unlikely to tick the boxes we want with the Pure. Requirements that we (she) are not prepared to shift on include e/windows, softouch and black tridion - this excludes your Pure Kate, but thanks anyway.

I've suggested we may have to forget the solid roof, but think we'd probably need a/c in that case as it could get warm in there. Budget around 3k or so, we'll see what we can come up with.

You'll likely end up with a Pulse I should think, there are plenty of 451's out there for the sub 3k mark but you may find you need to travel (say... something like this: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01704174491034). Pods are retrofittable, heck softtouch *might* be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jonus View Post
    I've suggested we may have to forget the solid roof,
    Wrap the usual clear polycarbonate roof in black
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    You'll likely end up with a Pulse I should think, there are plenty of 451's out there for the sub 3k mark but you may find you need to travel (say... something like this: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01704174491034). Pods are retrofittable, heck softtouch *might* be as well.
    Yes a Pulse does look like a good candidate. Shame that the Pure is lower spec on the 451, we've always been happy with our 450 Pure, and you tend not to see so many of them about.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Wrap the usual clear polycarbonate roof in black
    Thats a good idea. I did think about tinting the roof but hadn't considered wrapping it completely. Good shout!

Going to see a late 2010 Passion 84hp on Saturday. All looks ok from the pictures, seller seems alright, so fingers crossed.

Is there anything I should particularly watch out for on this model?

Ta!

EDIT: Change of plan, car sold. Search continues.
    Last edited by jonus; 13th July 2017 at 15:40.

Update time.

We found a car we both really liked (colour/spec/engine/history) which, as noted above, sold before we could view it. Fortunately for us, the sale fell through so we went and viewed the car last Saturday, drove it and bought it.

Car is a 2010 on a 60 plate 84hp Passion with the Highline stereo/nav.

Collected today, so far - so good. Seller was a gent, car seems spot on. The 84hp engine certainly moves well enough when required!

Thanks for the advice so far

Thread Information