VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: A 450 CDI restoration

So work on this has stalled because of the other 450 that I have being a model example of how to fail an emissions test. However, I've not forgotten about this one.

I've managed to source a new exhaust and a turbocharger (winging its way from Germany) along with a fitting kit for this so with any luck, something major will be happening in the next couple of weeks with this and I can finally get it out of the garage. The EGR valve still needs working on but once the snapped stud is out, then that is the final piece of the puzzle to getting it running.

For reference, the torque figures are:

Turbo manifold to block: 23nm
    Exhaust to Turbo manifold: 30nm
    Exhaust bracket to gearbox: 23nm
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 19th August 2017 at 14:09.

Default Re: A 450 CDI restoration

So the EGR valve in the CDi appears to be OK but the housing around it is still screwed with the broken bolt.

Luckily, Ball and Brown in Southport had one for sale on the off chance with a relatively new cartridge in it so I decided to get that and then I can spend a little time cleaning up the original valve and getting the broken bolt out. In short, this completes all the parts procurement to get the engine running, which is:
    • New (to me) EGR valve
    • New (to me) Turbocharger
    • New aftermarket exhaust
    • New gaskets
    Hopefully, I can get this running by the end of the year. After that, it probably wants new brakes, a check on the suspension and steering joints and a damn good clean - the thing stinks of diesel fumes

Thread Information