thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default A 450 CDI restoration

Hey Everyone,

A few years ago, I had ownership of a 2001 450 mk5 CDI with Aqua Orange panels (making a bit up of the "Aqua Corner" at Gaydon 2014, feels like ages ago). I had to sell it since then and it went to my father-in-law. Since then, a few issues occurred with it and it has been laying about in a garage for the last year or so as he found his way to a 454 ForFour. I made an enquiry about it a few months ago and now I am the owner again.

The car is in a right state. There is no turbo, no exhaust, no EGR valve (one of those electrical bypass boxes has been installed) and the car is generally in a sorry state with the patches of rust on the Tridion hastily covered up with what looks like plasticine (though it is more likely to be filler). It does apparently start up but the battery is flat and could do with either reconditioning or a new one anyway. Ultimately, the tridion is going to need a repaint so I'll be setting about that at some point though I am wondering if it is worth doing that first then the engine or the other way around.

I've already started on a few things, cleaning up the rear of the subframe and installing hex bolts instead of the torx bits to hold the crash bar in whilst I've been saving up to get a new EGR valve, turbo and exhaust. I've got a NOS oil pipe for the turbo at least (the original turbo had blown due to the previous feed failing) but I just wonder how bad the rest of the car is with this sort of thing going on (there is a pair of old trousers stuffed into the engine block!). The engine earth lead has been replaced and the battery one will be changed as well when I get a chance to get at the car.

Default Re: A 450 CDI restoration

Sounds like an interesting project! If I had the money and space I'd love a 450 cdi. Plenty of tales of them on the Canadian Smart forum www.clubsmartcar.com as I'm sure you've already seen.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool....

I have. The CDI is going to be my longer term project but it may take slightly longer as I picked up another 450 mk5 today (quite a special one...)

Hey Everyone!

So I finally had a day to go and do some work on the CDI. The battery is out and being charged as I write this though I reckon it may be coming to the end of its natural life. Still, a good charge may help to set it straight.

I've been looking around the garage for the bits that were removed from the engine bay. I've found the TIK pipe and the original exhaust. The TIK pipe is fine but the exhaust is blowing out of the seams (I wonder if it is worth getting it welded up?). I've removed a EGR blanking box from the car and plugged it back into where I think it goes but I need a EGR valve I think (perhaps someone would be so good as to identify where it it is meant to be bolted to).

So I think the list is:
    • New Exhaust
    • New Turbo
    • New EGR valve

Some pictures...

Last edited by Ocracoke; 7th May 2017 at 00:50.

Why are you putting an EGR back on if it is disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I was wondering about the same but was too slow off the marks.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    I was wondering about the same but was too slow off the marks.
    Living in Scotland will do that to any real man.

It came with one so I don't see why it shouldn't be re-enabled but I do understand, it is another thing to keep on top of the maintenance with. Besides, this is the first diesel engine I've worked on and I want to get this right. Heck, this will be the first engine I've gotten really hands on with beyond a serious service.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 8th May 2017 at 00:56.

The EGR eats a lot of fuel. They were ill thought out temporary fixes for something that was never a problem. They added more fixes later on to fix the problems that the EGR introduced and they have their own set of problems. In the cut is the best place to put it, you get a smoother running better performing more economical car that does not suffer from any recurring problems if you remove it.

I agree with all of that. Without EGR there is more complete combustion so less soot. Less soot means less particle matter. Cleaner oil hence less engine wear.

Thread Information