+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone got a Star machine, I need my key reprogramming

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    I know you both 'know exactly what you're meaning' , but you're reinforcing the incorrect idea to the guy who has left the building that the keys are programmed in some way, which they're (as you know) not.
    Key is coded to car so car can recognize code in key. Code does not change in key. Car remembers code so whenever person who has key in hand can lock or unlock his car.

Another issue: We should take more care and pride in welcoming new members or the forum will die with us. Updating location in profile does not seem that important for some. I see your location is "over here".

My offer of key coding for a good pint of ale or two still stands but only to forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    Another issue: We should take more care and pride in welcoming new members or the forum will die with us.
    Agreed, although I see no issues with my replies here. One, maybe two could have been a little less abrupt and a bit more welcoming and explained the reasons behind asking.
    I joined the party after everyone had been told to leave.

Updating location in profile does not seem that important for some. I see your location is "over here".
    It's took you 11 years to bring this up ?

My offer of key coding for a good pint of ale or two still stands but only to forum members.
    Is that what you live on?, Porridge (or Porage) and beer ?
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post

Is that what you live on?, Porridge (or Porage) and beer ?
    He is in Scotland so he lives off whatever doesn't cost him real money.

I didn't think my first reply was untoward really, certainly not trolling by any meaning of the word.

I would of thought that if he is asking for help, then it would be common sense to state his location.
    It's kind of a crucial detail when you need to take your car somewhere for a service as key coding.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ben-ten; 4th December 2016 at 04:36.

Key is coded to car so car can recognize code in key. Code does not change in key. Car remembers code so whenever person who has key in hand can lock or unlock his car.
    Now that is useful information, succinct to the point and without attitude.

I apologise profusely for not adding my location. I was tempted to add my location as 'over here' but managed to refrain.

It's called a 'rolling code' system on the key used by the bulk of manufacturers.
    Pseudo-random number constantly generated by the key on each key press.

The method of getting the car to recognise the current spat out code from the key varies though, but it's usually via diagnostics.

Just dropping 'the attitude' attitude will help matters
    fq101.co.uk

You can code your own keys if yours is a 0.7 Smart provided you invest in a Delphi DS150E currently selling for just below 30 with free shipping on AliExpress. This diagnostics unit can also adjust clutch, teach gear changes, run ABS pump etc etc. A must for the serious smart & roadster enthusiast. Note this unit is less functional on a 0.6 and diesel Smarts.
    Buy new keyfob with electronics and blade for less than 16 each.
    Treat yourself to a brand new Lishi key cutter and cut your own blade. Very useful tool, I got mine a few years ago and have used it for cutting dozens of keys. The Lishi appeared in one of the Columbo episodes, the one where he was onboard a Norwegian cruise ship.

Treat yourself to a brand new Lishi key cutter and cut your own blade. Very useful tool, I got mine a few years ago and have used it for cutting dozens of keys. The Lishi appeared in one of the Columbo episodes, the one where he was onboard a Norwegian cruise ship.
    That is cool. I just use needle files and it works OK but it aint quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    That is cool. I just use needle files and it works OK but it aint quick.
    That was my method in the past. With the Lishi, cutting keys is lightning fast. As always ones head got to be correctly screwed on and the tool is no good in the hands of the clumsy.

You can code your own keys if yours is a 0.7 Smart provided you invest in a Delphi DS150E currently selling for just below 30 with free shipping on AliExpress. This diagnostics unit can also adjust clutch, teach gear changes, run ABS pump etc etc. A must for the serious smart & roadster enthusiast. Note this unit is less functional on a 0.6 and diesel Smarts.
    Buy new keyfob with electronics and blade for less than 16 each.
    So are you saying that I can sort my key/car lock problem with the Delphi machine? That would be fantastic if so. I'm not the dumbass I seem on this forum so should be able to cope. They used to let me build aircarft!

Thread Information