Please note that this Forum Service will close to new Posts and Threads with effect from January 23rd 2021.  

All Forum information, posts and threads will remain visible until 28th February 2021 after which point thesmartclub Forum service will close.  Links to thesmartclub and The smart Racing Club social media pages are available via thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.  In addition, you have full and free access to every issue of 4site smart Magazine via that same homepage facility.  

Our thanks to the 35,000+ users who Registered for our Forums services for the past 20 years - your registration details will be deleted in line with our Privacy Policy wef 28th February 2021.

For any questions, please see the Contact Us sections from thesmartclub.co.uk homepage.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Gear Sticking Problems

hi everyone!
    hope someone can help or maybe link me onto an appropriate thread on here!
    i have a 1.5 for four with MANUAL gear box, recently the car on some occasion refused to go into first gear, i literally have to force it into gear, shifting down from 5th to 4th to 3rd is sometimes "cruncy", ive had the oil changed in the gearbox but its still doing it! new gearbox????? any help please!
    Matt

Default Re: Gear Sticking Problems

Remove the carpet from under the clutch pedal. If that doesn't fix it then get a new clutch.

This assumes the forfour has a clutch pedal, I don't know the answer to that.

If you keep forcing it then it will very quickly need a new gearbox.

First off, welcome to the forum from a fellow 454 ForFour owner!

The manual gearbox being stiff is a common annoyance on this model. Lubrication of the gear shifting linkages should help with this which I understand can be fairly fiddly and should be done with a proper lubricant, such as Lithium white grease. I need to do this with another member of the family's 454 as well. Try this first and see what this does for you.

I've had the whole gear-shifter won't move palaver. I was in a 1.1 on the way back from the chip shop, put the car into Reverse move back and then could I get the car out of Reverse? No. For 5 minutes I was battling with the thing until it finally moved.

If it crunches it's either the clutch isn't pulled in enough (Bleeding if pneumatic, new cable or adjustment if cabled) ... or could just be binding clutch.

Or it's worn synchro cones in the gearbox.

From what you're saying though it's the former
    fq101.co.uk

It should be noted that there isn't any synchro on Reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    It should be noted that there isn't any synchro on Reverse.
    There rarely is
    fq101.co.uk

Does it have the correct oil in? Had one this week with similar issues & it had ATF in which wasn't helping (ATF is red)

thanks for the advice guys, i have changed the oil in the gear box, but its still sticking..... i'm hoping its not a case of getting a new gear box, i'd rather spend a little less on a clutch!

The manual gearbox stiff gearchange problem is a 'known' issue to most 454 owners and it is covered; together with the cure;
    on another Smart forum that has close links with this one.
    To see/read up on it you must first register (it is free). The 'complete' cure is finally clear at the end of the thread.
    http://www.forfour.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=614.0
    www.forfour.co.uk - for all your forfour technical questions !
    www.evilution.co.uk

Thread Information