+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Car Occasionally Won't Change Up Gear

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    To me it sounds as though it's operating entirely normally. It always hangs onto revs longer when cold and when going uphill and I have had 5 smarts with the same underpinnings.

As J500ANT says, one of the many reasons why I never use the auto mode.
    I never use mine in A mode, as it's crap. Especially when cold, as it lets revs go way too high for my liking before upshifting. I like to keep revs below 2.5k until one bar at least has been on for 5 minutes, 2 bars is better if I can. I don't let the motor slog, tho'.
    Maybe once or twice a year it will go in A just to make sure it still works and has not forgotten how!

I haven't on my 02 petrol 600, for same reasons probably!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjcoe View Post
    So this one supports Bluetooth, and I guess it's also got USB connectivity. I assume it uses it's own windows software and doesn't support the Android Torque app. There's this one on ebay too that's at least from a UK based seller, although no Bluetooth, but I'm not sure if my wife's laptop has that anyway.

It does specifically mention supporting the Smart ForTwo, and another useful tool to add to my collection.
    Avoid the bluetooth if you can, don't use it if you can't. The platform is Windows, and the software can be a pig to install, you need to be happy with a modest bit of hacking, and MUST NOT let the pc near the internet while installing or thereafter. And depending on how unlucky you are, you may find you do not have all the required functions to use it fully.

I always use mine in A mode. I noticed last week that if I put my foot down and accelerate hard it holds onto gears a bit longer than it should. If I am gentle with the acceration it changes up smoothly.

For me A mode is far better than manual. I have never and will never use manual mode.
    2007 Smart Fortwo Passion Coupe C451 Turbo 999cc 84bhp
    Electric Windows
    Air Conditioning
    Smart Radio 9
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Luggage Compartment Cover
    Softouch Automatic Gear Program
    Bodypanels & Tridion Cell in Silver Metallic
    15" Alloy Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjcoe View Post
    Hi there

The first time it did it, I used the manual mode to get off at the junction and it worked fine.

I agree, auto mode is pretty rubbish but then I've never used a good semi-auto box. My wife only has an auto license, so I'm going to drive it in auto until I know it's working (as well as it can) and I can 'coach' her on how to use it to avoid the dreaded rolling out of a junction while it's trying to decide what gear to select.
    Your Smart car can be driven on an automatic only driving licence in both semi-automatic and automatic modes. It does not have a manual gearbox as it does not have a clutch pedal and therefore the driver is not required to hold a manual licence. Give up on the auto function, its rubbish like the majority view suggest, and help your wife to learn how to drive and enjoy the Smart using the semi-automatic function.

I prefer auto. Mine is a diesel 450 so much smoother and quicker gear changes than any of the petrol 450 models.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen123 View Post
    I prefer auto. Mine is a diesel 450 so much smoother and quicker gear changes than any of the petrol 450 models.
    Whaaaaa? Me jealous! Why can't they all be so? You will have had experience of both I believe. Who'd a thowt it?

Auto function in the 454 is a nice thing on a motorway and, if you force a up change by a swift movement of the foot, is not too bad in town though it can catch you out occasionally.

Manual mode is more fun though. In a 450 petrol, I'd rather have paddleshifters than auto but in a CDi, I much prefer auto on the motorway (once it is back on the road that is).
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 11th March 2018 at 02:16.

Same issue I'll post the, diagnostic from smart When I get 85!

I can’t see the reasoning why auto is good on motorways. Perhaps you mean Autobahns?

Thread Information