thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking to fit a Double din unit in my 2006 For Four Cool blue 1.3

So I just want a more interesting
    Entertainment system in my smart.
    Gps.sat nav.USB port.SD reader ect.
    Lots of bright colours and all looking
    Good in the middle. Sound quality is not the end result as I am not changing speakers just want a fun unit.
    DOES ANYONE have experience with just
    An aftermarket cheapo 7" screen
    Set up.
    Are the face/trim plates easily available
    And with the pics attached how does the provided conextors compare to whats in the car . I am obviously looking for a tidy neat clean fitting unit
    Any reason why an unbranded one will not fit ??
    Thanks all.
    See pics
    Attached Images

Default Re: Looking to fit a Double din unit in my 2006 For Four Cool blue 1.3

Do you have a link to a radio that you are looking at or considering? The pictures attached are really small and hard to make out.

Generally, the connection at the back of the stereo (I believe your is a single DIN radio for your trim level?) is a ISO connection so if a replacement unit offers that then it should be a case of plug and play. The connections that the pictures appear to have might include a adapter for ISO but I would seriously recommend finding a radio that had this as standard.

The other connectors are built into that stereo you have pictures of, so they should be OK.

If you have a multi-function steering wheel (that is, a steering wheel with button on it), you would lose the use of those buttons though I don't believe that was an option for the trim of car you have.

Are the face/trim plates easily available
    Yes - http://smartmods.co.uk/index.php?page=details&id=5

Any reason why an unbranded one will not fit ??
    Double DIN is a standard size so it should fit OK provided the screwholes line up which again should do I would think.

EBay item numbers
    Or.maybe I can search for an
    Alternative .
    Like I say I want pretty
    Not pricey ������

OK, so neither have a native ISO connection (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connec...udio#ISO_10487) so you would need a adapter to make them fit and looking at the pictures of both items, you would need to wire up an adapter yourself. The first item has rounded corners which will result in a gap when the fascia plate is fitted I would think.

I'd recommend finding a unit that comes with a ISO adapter or have a native ISO connection in the package as this will make installation a lot easier. 3rd party units like this will normally come with an external GPS antenna but watch out for what the radio aerial connection is as well as these can vary between different examples so you may need an adapter to make the existing radio aerial lead fit into the unit of your choice.

Good advice
    Much appreciated
    Will keep the group posted .

Thread Information