VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Door speakers

Default Door speakers

I want to upgrade the door speakers.

Can it be done by popping off the grill & changing them over or do you have to remove the door panel everytime?

I'm not wanting to go mad, was thinking maybe Kenwood 3-way speakers.

Default Re: Door speakers

The door grilles are melted plastic rivet/studs (captive plastic posts on the grille backside are pushed through holes in the panel, and the ends are melted to provide a rivet head) .
    The drive units are screwed in from the back anyway.

If your new speakers come with grilles, then you could remove the original grilles and fit them, but probably best to still mount drive units from the rear.
    fq101.co.uk

Just a heads-up;
    Be aware you dont have to much room to play with. Fit a 'standard' speaker and your window will probably crash into it when lowered.
    I do not have the data and measurements at hand, but it is definitively a thing to be aware of.

Some things are fun. Others are not

Frodie fancies fun over not

These are the ones I fitted back in the day on my 451 (leaving the original grilles in place)
    http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Ima.../1085010CS.PDF

The size of these is spot on, I remember any larger and they *will hit the window.

They're obviously no longer available, but use the data
    fq101.co.uk

I have just done this, as per my other thread.
    I just cut out the old speakers - it was easy to pry/break off the original speaker covers, then break the old speakers off the back of the door panel. Then, I could remove the screws with a hand-held bit. I then trimmed the hole wider with a sharp penknife. It was easy to judge the cut as I cut out to the edge of a ridge on the back of the door panel. I then fit the 6.5" woofers in the hole, drilling the 4 mounting points for the speaker screws. There is no issue with clearance of the window for me.
    I also have put a crossover inside the door and made a hole elsewhere in the door for a tweeter.

I would encourage not taking the outer door panel off as it is not advisable to disturb the membrane.

Thread Information