VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Smart Roadster Horn Malfunction

You could try reseating a connector under the steering wheel area.
    Small 2pin? connector in white or black. It has an alternate member in
    the opposite colour which if used in stead will connect the horn back
    to nonpaddle mode.
    Bjorn

What exactly do you mean by reseating the connectors?
    I did see a couple of small connectors when I pulled off the paddles and pushed back the plastic trim on the steering wheel housing, if its these you are referring to? Do you mean swapping the connectors over?

Mick

Horn and paddle issues suggest a resistance problem caused by dirty connections in the steering wheel or on the connector in the wiring loom that Bjorn refers to.

Have a look on www.theroadster.net as this has come up a few times.

Sorry, forgot all about this as was a couple of year ago, signs of old age creeping in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing as you have problems with milage on the speedo, it may be that you have lost
    config on the speedo unit. The paddle shift option is configured in the speedo, and if it
    is lost, it either have to be reconfigured, or the connectors in the footwell switched over
    in order to establish normal non paddle operation.
    The connectors are not those behind the steering wheel, but on the loom furter down
    in the footwell.
    Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn for reply and further information.
    MOT runs out very soon so car will come off of the road for a while so I have time to investigate and sort out a few body scuffs etc etc. Will miss driving the car though as such a buzz! Will report back in the future if and when I find a solution or is back on the road.
    Many thanks to all those who replied.
    On final question, what is a good Fault Code Reader/Scanner Tool to add to my toolbox which covers faults, resets management lights etc for the Smart Roadster. What to you guys use?

Mick

iCarSoft i980.

Hi, Ive just been reading your post, I have the same problem with paddles and horn not working, diagnostics show the signal is not getting though and I believe that the problem may be the steering wheel clockspring, I'm currently trying to source a reasonably priced replacement and will post again with the result when ive tried it

Thread Information