thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default The next WirralSmarts car

For those that don't know, a week before Christmas last year, my 2002 mk5 City-Coupe was involved in an accident that resulted in it being written off (great timing... not). The result of that is that I've decided to go back into ForFour ownership having had a brief stint with one a few years ago.

So after browsing around, I did a round trip about about 600 miles to pick up a 2004 ForFour 1.3 S-A Passion. After the more frantic sounding engine of the 450, the 1.3 engine in this is just relaxing, the gearbox works seamlessly (feels snappier than the 450 box) and ride is just that little bit more cosseting than the 450 (especially over pot holes). The only dealer fitted option (so far as I can see) is there are 6 speakers in the car including the tweeters in the doors. Otherwise, another basic car.

It will not be staying that way. I've been buying bits in preparation for this, including:

• Geniune Armrest
    • Radio 6 rather than the Radio 5 in the car
    • Geniune Interior Cup Holder
    • Coolant and Clock dash pods
    • An original handsfree phone kit (I know this supports relatively ancient Siemens phones but I vary rarely use a mobile anyway)
    • Geniune rear parking sensors

...along with a few other pieces. A few of the panels are also looking a bit "parking scrapey" so I might paint this one as well. Something very loud I think.

Default Re: The next WirralSmarts car

Nice to still see quite a few of these on the Road

Funny that last photo looks like its a council adapted parkingA/SBO enforcement camera car
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Funny that last photo looks like its a council adapted parkingA/SBO enforcement camera car
    That was a mistake, I promise! Wirral council has/had a 451 with a CCTV periscope affair mounted in it, one of the more cringeworthy moments of being a Smart car owner.

Day 1

Hey Everyone,
    So having had the car for darn near a month, I think it is time to start the inevitable modding. First things first, I thought I start with some of the interior stuff by adding in the dash pods and trying out the replacement speedometer in the car.

Speedometer try out
    This was really, really easy. The 450 speedometer put up more of a fight than the 454 speedometer did. Two T20s later, lower the steering wheel and a smooth pull and the speedometer came out. Changed the speedometer over and then started the car. The whole thing sprung to life.

...and then I put the original back. The mileage is wrong, the speedometer must have come from a manual and it has diesel fascias. These are aren't insurmountable but the lack of control over the second screen is a bigger issue. Then again, it is part of a rebuild of a Multifunction steering wheel I am doing so I wasn't too bothered at the moment, I just wanted to see what would happen.

----
    Update: DO NOT DO THIS LIGHTLY. When I put the original speedometer back into the car, the mileage on the original speedometer suddenly read the mileage of the other speedometer and the engine warning light has come (although this went off after one trip). I can only assume this is a measure to always assume the higher of the values from the speedometer and the ECU. I was expecting the behaviour from the 450/452 speedometer.

I went to Mercedes about this and they claimed it wasn't possible to change the mileage (despite me having asked them over a week ago). A trip to an independent and they said it was but they needed the replacement speedometer. Gah.
    ----

Dash pods
    This has turned into a bit of a nightmare to be honest. I want to get the damn things screwed in, which I think means removing the dashboard. Having removed all the screwheads running along the bottom of the dashboard where the speedometer screws where (and the hidden one behind the speedometer itself), the dash will not move.

There appears that there might be some behind the glovebox so I tried to remove it but can I get the LH side of the bin to come out? No.

With the weather not being helpful, I am going to shelve the dash pod fitting for now.
    I think they can be fitted without removing the dash but it would really, really bug me that they were not screwed down anyway. Besides, it is all useful stuff to know.

It suddenly occurred to me that the radio needs to come out to do this so...

Removing the Radio 5 unit
    Key word in starting this appears to be physics. Got the dial knobs and the black fascias off with a long reach torx bit and a bit of leverage. The rest was pretty straightforward with a bit of brute force to get the cowling off.

Now have a big hole in the dash for the Radio 6 unit but need to makeup a ISO to Quadlock connector.

I inherited a few parking scrapes with my 451 when I bought it...

Nothing major!
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15 Alloys

Wrong thread nlel?

Why didn't you get the dealer to fix them as a condition of sale, seems you bought a dog and have been screwed over twice already
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTLY View Post
    Wrong thread nlel?

Why didn't you get the dealer to fix them as a condition of sale, seems you bought a dog and have been screwed over twice already
    It's not that bad and you have to expect the odd cosmetic blemish here and there on a used car. I only noticed the blemish in the first photo when viewing the car the main thing is that it's mechanically sound. Just posting in reply to Ocracokes first post where he mentioned parking scrapes.
    Last edited by nlel; 29th February 2016 at 09:25.
    2019 Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Cabrio A453 Turbo 900cc 90hp
    R-Link Evolution Sat Nav/DAB with Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB, SD, AUX
    Heated Seats, Electric Mirrors, Air Con
    6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
    Rear Parking Sensors
    White with 15 Alloys

Just posting in reply to Ocracokes first post where he mentioned parking scrapes.
    The more I look around my car, the more blemishes I find. The scrapes I mentioned in my first post were just the really obvious ones. I've found a few in the Tridion since which have really wound me up.

I know this will be sorted when the car is painted but arrhhhhghgghhh.... it will drive me nuts knowing they are there for the moment. Then again, what did I expect for 1200?

Dash pods!
    You dont have remove the dashboard for fitting dash pods .

Remove the glovebox , then run a steel wire to the location of the pods.
    Tape the wires of the pods to the steel wire, and gently pull the pod wires to you.

than run the wires to where ever they need to go.

I seen it done , last Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by ossy View Post
    Dash pods!
    You dont have remove the dashboard for fitting dash pods .

Remove the glovebox , then run a steel wire to the location of the pods.
    Tape the wires of the pods to the steel wire, and gently pull the pod wires to you.

than run the wires to where ever they need to go.

I seen it done , last Saturday!
    Hmm... I get what you mean (it sounds a hell of a lot easier than I doing what I am doing) but I want to take the dashboard off anyway to know how to do it. I may want to get it retrimmed at some point

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information