thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread

Default re coding the remote key fobs?

I have been given two keys with my 2009 451 which one key all works but the other although fits the barrel and will start the car the remote locking doesn't work.
    I have change the battery with no effect and guess dues to the long time dead battery its lost its coding? yes? if so how do i re code it?
    cheers

Default Re: re coding the remote key fobs?

Take both keys and the car to a smart dealer, or independent..... Who will then re-sequence the car to the keys present

No other way.

Where are you in the country?
    fq101.co.uk

They do not loose sync by having flat battery. Perhaps the one that does not work needs drying out?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Take both keys and the car to a smart dealer, or independent..... Who will then re-sequence the car to the keys present

No other way.

Where are you in the country?
    Brighton,
    Bit weird that aint it? my connect van i just did it with ignition on-off sequence and button pushes for the remote locking, why do they go out of sync?

Quote Originally Posted by fands@ntlworld.com View Post
    Bit weird that aint it? ?
    Do you want it SECURE or easy to steal ?

why do they go out of sync
    Rare on a 451, but **** happens... it might even be faulty

The reason it'll still start the car is because the 451 key has a transponder for immobilisation.. i.e. it just has to be near the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lidldiddlealdi
    Perhaps the one that does not work needs drying out?
    No-one mentioned it was wet ??
    fq101.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmostInvisibleMan View Post
    Do you want it SECURE or easy to steal ?
    I'm not talking about copying the transponder, just the door locking and opening, with "normal" cars you have to have a working key to re programme others so not security issues with it

The keys on the 451 use an ID46 transponder. Basically the remote and immobiliser data is contained on the same chip and the remote cannot fall out of sync.

There is no manual way of coding the remote, it happens automatically when coding a new key via obd.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Make sure you have put the battery in the key the correct way around....we've had several people bring there cars in with 'dead' keys after they've had new batteries.....I've flipped the batteries over and sent them on their way!!

Thread Information