thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub - the world's largest independent club for all things smart thesmartclub shop - the world's largest independent club for all things smart
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Default Re: Tyre noise 16" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Lindafjordan View Post
    I'm so glad I found this forum and particularly this thread, I thought I was imagining things when I test drove the smart coupe electric drive fortwo and could barely hear my son talk or listen to the radio. I assumed that the electric drive coupe would be way quieter than my 2014 Smart fortwo cabriolet (MHD engine) but I was wrong. There was no engine sound but even with windows closed the noise was awful! Way louder than my convertible with the top down. I guess it must be down to the 16 inch alloys and tires. I have 15 inch Pirelli on my cityflame and they are nice and quiet.
    I was really considering the e version as a convertible to replace my cityflame but the noise, seats and incredibly poor sales person have put me off!
    I have recently purchased a fortwo 435 Brabus and the road noise from the tyres in the car are terrible. I would say maximum journey of 20 mins before you get a headache.

Assumed a design fault
    It pays to be Smart

I also have a 453 Brabus and the road noise is the worst of any car I have ever driven.
    It is the tyres for sure as I just changed to winter tyres, and the car is now as silent
    as in a limo.
    Bjorn

Out of interest Bjorn what winter tyres have you fitted to quieten it down ??

I have fitted Continental Conti Viking Contact 6
    These have a special soft rubber (aka Nordic compound)
    They have won winter tyre tests several years.
    They are fitted on 15" alloys (as used on the Passion version of the car)
    Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn shall be trying this out, fed up with the headaches lol
    Vince

Default Re: Come on guys am i the only one !!

Hi Everyone, like Vince we have a late model Fortwo with 16" wheels that has made an awful noise since new. It's like the sound of blowing across the top of a beer bottle (had a bit of practice at that) and starts at around 10mph and changes not so much with speed but with road surface. A nicely metalled surface with small aggregate is almost silent but anything with the bigger aggregate or poor condition is horrendous (most of the UK)! I waited until we had worn of the "pips" from the new tyres before taking it to the dealership who said they could find nothing wrong with it. I have uploaded a clip of what the noise is like showing speed, road surface and sound level. I would be interested to hear any views as to what it might be. https://youtu.be/qmkxN9c294U

Itís prob just that particular tyre/rim volume resonating.

The only options youíve got are:

Change the rubber
    Or line round the inner wheel arch with sound deadening materials
    fq101.co.uk

Old thread, agree Brabus Cabriolet is the worst tyre noise ever, the roof makes it worse, and itís like a wheel bearing sound. Terrible

Thread Information