+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

red strobe Roadster Leaks - Please register any leak problems!

Having had my third Roadster go down with wet carpets on the passenger side and a SAM unit that is doing weird things again I am asking for your help!

If your Smart Roadster has exhibited any water ingress problems please post here with your registration and short description of the problems and resolution if any. Please DO NOT post if you do not own a Roadster or it is not relevant to this issue. Thanks.

If enough of us truthfully post our experiences I hope it will provide a body of evidence that there is a problem inherent in manufacturing and that we can then get some rectification and redress under the Sale of Goods Act if MBUK continues to deny any responsibility.

I do not still have the registration of my first black Brabus Coupe that had new seals, carpets and SAM unit.
    My second Roadster AV54APX, I paid for a new SAM unit.
    My current Brabus Exclusive S700ADM (12K miles) has been off the road for a year now while MBUK sits on its hands.
    Alan Manton

Alan@Smart-Tow.com

Default Re: Roadster Leaks - Please register any leak problems!

Hi Alan, I have had two that both had leaks. My first had the solid roof, seals were replaced twice, but the wing mirrors leaked very badly and that was never resolved, reg was RY03 MPF, no Sam problems while I owned it though. My current roadie KT55 CZP still leaks a little through the mirrors, but Sussex cars have bent over backwards to help with all the other leaks, replacing seals along the soft top roof, doors etc. Although it is kept covered, I think it is now just the mirrors that let water in but I have come to accept it as part of owning the car. Hope this helps in some way.

Our RC BG04 NNB first reg 15/04/2004 (solid roof) leaked a bit from new, (mainly mirrors), but some sealing work was done by smart Coventry and that pretty much cured it - it leaks a bit (mirrors again) in really really heavy rain, unless the car is moving or if you blast at the windows with a hose pipe. No SAM issues so far (fingers crossed).

Efficiency is intelligent lazyness.

My Roadster light had a SAM within 6 weeks of ownership (from new). It has had 2 sets of carpets and seals, and a new set of speakers. There is still some water ingress around the wing mirrors, but not as bad as within warranty (mainly in heavy rain only), so I've not bothered getting it fixed. The car was registered 19th June 2005.

Thanks people, I really appreciate the feedback! Please keep it coming.
    Alan Manton

Alan@Smart-Tow.com

Thought I felt drops of water on my ankles, thought I imagined it.
    Horn sounded while changing gear with paddleshift in a torrential downpour.
    New SAM and steering wheel in the first year.

Never had major leaks, no wet carpets, just minor trickles by the mirror triangles.

Then they did the full leak recall - 3 days at the dealer being stripped, seam sealed, all rubber seals replaced etc.
    After that it didn't leak even in a thunderstorm.
    Still doesn't today - 7 years later.
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by smartwombat View Post

Then they did the full leak recall - 3 days at the dealer being stripped, seam sealed, all rubber seals replaced etc.
    After that it didn't leak even in a thunderstorm.
    Still doesn't today - 7 years later.

What is this full leak re-call? - that one passed me by - did everyone else receieve an invitation to take theirs back for a full set of seals ?? - I certainly didn't - I don't think you are talking about an official recall are you ?? - otherwise this thread would be somewhat nugatory.

Last edited by BG04NNB; 21st August 2010 at 08:28. Reason: addendum
    Efficiency is intelligent lazyness.

Yes, it was official.
    Doubt if I kept the letter this long though.
    I can't even remember where mine was done, Brentford I think.
    Angie says it was just after it was out of warranty, so that'd be '05 (it's 03 reg).
    We were prepared to fight for it because there were a few trickles, compared to the floods that the worst cars had.
    But it was all done without having to shout and stamp feet.
    Cars manufactured after that ought to have the updated seals.
    Mine was one of the first few in the country, LHD with UK spec instruments and lights.

Have you seen this?
    http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=408

In addition to the details from that guide (the part "A" seals and the seam sealing) on my car there are some strips on the mirror triangle inside that channel any minor leaks back to the channel seal where they should exit.
    Just noticed today that the glue on the driver's side one has come unstuck, so I have a little project to find the right glue and refit it.
    PAul

my smart brabus exclusive roadster has always leaked i try and keep it covered when not in use any suggestions what i can do to get it fixed my reg is HY06 YZR

its good to hear im not the only one that has a leak in the roadster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information