VISIT OUR ONLINE SHOP Approved Used smarts from Mercedes-Benz/smart Retailers HERE

JOIN the CLUB HERE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Winter Tyres on Smart...

Hi All

Not been here for a while, but given the few threads around our current weather crisis i thought i might feedback my experience of my 98 smart and its winter footwear.

Last feb the smartie managed to move all of 50cm in the snow, having friends in poland and knowing what benefit winter tyres give, i thought i'd invest in some for my 15's. Also a good way of keeping the shiny 16's nice and tidy.

I've fitted a combo of Continental Winter Contacts on the rear and Yokohama Winter Ts up front the std 98 spec sizes 135 up front and 175 at the rear.

Winters no doubt feel softer and grippier in the cold and wet conditions and are a revelation in the snow, the little car has be carrying on a like a mountain goat.. Even in the snow of south london.

A couple of caveats:

I think i'll move to roadster steels as the 135's are just so skinny up front.. Having 175s on my front summer 16's with sticky Yokokhamas which have given such improved grip under braking in the wet. Going back to 135's was a bit of a shock. I'll try and run with 185 all round and winter Nokian WRG2's for next year..

Also on compacted snow / ice the winters help a lot but you will still slip and skid so be careful... I think that studded tires might be a bit extreme!
    From friends in poland the old Fiat 126's with winters were quite something in the mountains.. so our smarts should be equally capable when properly equipped. In fact the smart being so small let me drive around stranded cars and buses. All a bit terminator….

I got my tyres from www.mytyres.co.uk delivered to a tyre fitter locally.

Cheers to all and keep safe.

Default Re: Winter Tyres on Smart...

Useful post John, thanks!

I recently upgraded to alloys fitted with all-season Goodyear M+S (Mud and Slush/Snow) tyres and they are coping well in the current weather. I've moved up from 145/175 Conti EcoContacts to these 175/195s so it's heard to say whether it's the width or the thread that's making the difference .... the EcoContacts really had very little tread on them (design wise, not depth) and if I remember rightly they didn't handle very well at all when we had all that snow in January last year.

It has made me feel rather smug, seeing other drivers with their wheels spinning away whilst I cruise past in my smart

There's also this which might be worth a look if you're really struggling with your current tyres in these conditions:

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

Cheers!

David
    Last edited by Hogster; 8th January 2010 at 13:42.
    2010 plate 54bhp CDI

Good to hear of another convert!
    Interesting about those autosocks, i work in a hospital and understand that london ambulance have these for tricky conditions.. So if it works them.... that might well be a less harsh alternative to snow chains
    Cheers - JK

Goodyear do socks too
    Steve

One of my friends has a smart roadster and is thinking of winter tyres.. Can you still buy roadster steel wheels from Smart? I saw that FQ101 mentions fitting them to for2's/coupes also....
    Anyone know of even has access to part numbers??
    Cheers - JK

fronts are Q0009613V002C32L00

rears are Q0009619V001C32L00

rims only
    Last edited by TheAlmostInvisibleMan; 10th January 2010 at 12:59.
    smartypartfast.co.uk
    fq101.co.uk

Socks are simplest and cheapest solution... rather than buying new rims and tyres spend £50 on a set of socks... If they work on a Brab forfour in NZ then they must be good.

Thanks for the part numbers! Will try and track the down via smart.

True socks are a possible solution, but fitting winters save your summer alloys from the ravages of salt, possible slips and slides ending in kerbing.. also you put your winters on and don't worry until spring. socks you'd have to remove and dry etc..
    Also winter tyres also help in cold and wet weather.. they deffo feel nice and grippy

Jonniek, I couldn't find 135 on wintertyres.co.uk website.
    What sizes did you fit?
    I have a spare set of fortwo steels waiting for tyres...
    PAul

If you are looking at winter tyres check manufacture recommendations as to how long the rubber will last ....... I believe some have a limited life of 5 years or less.
    Steve

Thread Information