PDA

View Full Version : Changing Spark Plugs

keldelhi
28th November 2005, 13:39
Hi all..
Had my smart four two passion some time and would like info on how to remove rear section and change the plugs.
Do I need special tools?
What are the correct plugs to use and how many?

Must tell you all that my Misses said that driving the smart was the most fun she had had in a car since we stopped courting on the back seat of the mini.

I can add that it doesn't hurt the back as much either.
Great car.

Many Thanks

TheAlmostInvisibleMan
28th November 2005, 13:41
1st of all how old is the car (later 698cc or the early 599?)

you will six plugs in either case

599cc (all cars Mk1 - Mk6) NGK or similar BKR6EKE

698cc (all Mk7 and Roadsters) NGK RLKR8A

put spark plug into search for some recent threads on the subject

Guinnessian
28th November 2005, 19:20
Hi, and welcome to the club, keldelhi

If you go to www.thesmartclub.co.uk then click Members area then click DIY , youll find a few how-to's (youll have to have java enabled to get this far)
I cant remember if you have to log in there with seperate username, but you'll find that out soon enough :o .
Tools for the job includes a few torx bits and a pretty large Pozidrive one, and a HT-lead remover (do not pull it by the lead, some sits like theyre glued on, and youll damage the lead) and of course a tool to undo the plugs themselves.

HTH

:kid:

keldelhi
29th November 2005, 14:37
Many thanks for the info.. Will give it a try.
1st of all how old is the car (later 698cc or the early 599?)

you will six plugs in either case

599cc (all cars Mk1 - Mk6) NGK or similar BKR6EKE

put spark plug into search for some recent threads on the subject

keldelhi
12th December 2005, 12:58
Hi Folks and many thanks for your info..
BUT I still have a problem.. I puchased a sealey 529 HT lead removal tool but it just slips over the lead and cap . How does it seperate them as there is no apparent grip. I know I must have missed something very easy but can anyone point me in the right direction PLEASE. Merry Christmas to all..
Ian

Guinnessian
12th December 2005, 22:20
I have to admit I dont know how a sealey 529 HT lead removal tool look like, but the important thing is it should get a grip of the cap, not the lead. Then you should be able to pull it off. If it slips you have to add some friction, one way or the other. I have to admit the smarts HT lead caps are the most stubborn ones Ive ever convinced to 'let go'

:kid:

keldelhi
13th December 2005, 09:21
Thanks for the info.. Must admit I am stumped. Think I will have to pay the garage as I really cannot move those caps and am terrified that the leads might go.
Regards Ian

TheAlmostInvisibleMan
13th December 2005, 10:38
like frodie said the important thing to remember is to get the tool to lift the bottom of connector thus taking any strain of the cable itself. (You could serperate the cable internally or the plug may detach permenantly.

I've never tried thistool either but I thought there was a slight twist involved

A slight wiggle of the connector whilst lifting might help to make it fall off the spark plug top

keldelhi
13th December 2005, 16:33
Thanks Guys...
I will have another go at this and if I get anywhere without a major disaster I will let you know..

Looking through the threads I noticed a post by Mr & Mrs Smart at Par in Cornwall saying that extra long nosed pliers with 90 degree turned tips seemed an alternative.. Any thoughts or info on this one .. (Like where do you get them and has anyone tried them)
Best Regards Ian
Scratch Black Passion Driver

keldelhi
9th January 2006, 12:26
Hi Folks..
I've done it!!!!!

After a lot of advise from this notice board Mr and Mrs Smart posted to me a set of angle tipped pliers. Using this tool I was able to lift the HT leads successfully and replace those plugs.

A Great Big Thank you to all for your advise and Especially to Dave and Pat for putting yourselves out, finding and posting the pliers..

This is a Great notice board which has already helped me immensely.

Regards Ian

MrMrsSmart
10th January 2006, 00:12
Hi Folks..
I've done it!!!!!

After a lot of advise from this notice board Mr and Mrs Smart posted to me a set of angle tipped pliers. Using this tool I was able to lift the HT leads successfully and replace those plugs.

A Great Big Thank you to all for your advise and Especially to Dave and Pat for putting yourselves out, finding and posting the pliers..

This is a Great notice board which has already helped me immensely.

Regards Ian

Hiya Ian

I am glad all is well......It is a fiddle with the pliers...BUT OH SO much cheaper than a "Special Tool"......WELL DONE !!!!!

mccsmart2002
10th January 2006, 23:15

Actually, I think you'll find they are "LKR8A" as I've seen them on the shelf at work. :p

farge bofflenerp
15th March 2006, 14:27
OK, i now have a pair of 11 inch long nosed pliers with a 90 degree bend at the end.

How do i use them?

Do i use them to grasp the lead cap as low as possible and pull/twist? Or do they hook around the bottom of something?

TheAlmostInvisibleMan
15th March 2006, 14:34
the proper tool simply grabs hold of notches (once turned by a 1/4 turn) on the metal cap so it pulls the cap not the cable.
Pliers need to be positioned on the lugs on the metal bit - just grab and pull (but not by the cable) you just might see how clearly on the photo:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/stuartgoodall/smart%20car%20pics/HPIM0353.jpg
pic borrowed from Stu (mania)

similar to the way a mains light bulb bayonet fixes into it's socket

farge bofflenerp
15th March 2006, 17:09
My HT lead is slightly different. The black rubber (?) extends down the metal part to the next shoulder covering those little flanges.

Still, ill give it a go.

fazer
16th March 2006, 14:59
Thanks for the info.. Must admit I am stumped. Think I will have to pay the garage as I really cannot move those caps and am terrified that the leads might go.
Regards Ian Hi Ian do not panick, a friend and i made i lead extractor out of a metal chair leg.The important bit are the raised hocks on the end which quite simply slot into a recess built in to the suppresor cap and lever the lead of the plug, Ithought that more work was involved in removing the rear bumper to accsess the lower 3 plugs, ps I have only the use of one hand, if i can do it anyone can, Cheers Jim.

Chris3005
17th March 2006, 00:29
My HT lead is slightly different. The black rubber (?) extends down the metal part to the next shoulder covering those little flanges.Almost certainly not - they do look as if that's the case, mine did too, but the recess is very deep and there's a lot of that metal section that you can't really see. Get a powerfull light and fiddle with the pliers; you'll get the lugs eventually, and once you've got the first one off, it's easier because you know what it's like.